What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Peace Corps Volunteer Service Federal or Non-Federal  (Read 6778 times)

Offline iogburu

• Posting Member
    • Ihydiya Ogburu
  • PC Status: RPCV
Peace Corps Volunteer Service Federal or Non-Federal
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:47:20 AM »
When applying for federal jobs does our Peace Corps Volunteer Service fall under a federal job or non-federal?

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
Re: Peace Corps Volunteer Service Federal or Non-Federal
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:38:42 AM »
When you apply for jobs via usajobs.gov you should answer that NO you were not an employee of the Federal government.  We were told that in no uncertain terms while at a job fair held in Peace Corps headquarters in DC. 

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:32:35 PM »
the boss is right. While your NCE qualifies you to be hired without posting a job (kind of like an inside hire), PC service does not count as federal employment. But if applying through any of the gov't portals, there should be a box to check saying that you have competitive eligibility, sometimes called noncompetitive application eligibility. There's another thread here: http://peacecorpsforum.com/index.php?topic=11.0

PC service does however count towards retirement limits and some seniority benefits in federal employment. Read the legal speak at the end of your DOS for the exact terms.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 11:22:22 AM »
To follow-up/repeat what Shawn said, make sure you look carefully for the Non-Competitive Eligibility question...I know that sometimes (as with my agency) they just state, "Eligibility from another source" on certain announcements, even though they are supposed to write something like, "Non-Competitive Eligibility from Another Source (e.g., Peace Corps service)."

Another question I know I had about it when I got back from overseas was what GRADE can I apply to with it...and the answer was you can actually apply to ANY graded job, however you still have to be able to articulate how you meet the minimum experience requirements.  We were told (if I remember right) that we should look at GS-7 or GS-9 jobs after Peace Corps only with the NCE, but that turned out to be bad advice! :)
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 09:30:11 PM »
Most RPCVs who completed their service relatively soon after college would qualify for GS-5, maybe GS-7. GS-7 usually requires at least 1 full year of experience that nearly matches the exact responsibilities of the job posting. So, unless you have a Masters or coincidentally worked for a year doing the same thing at a different place, RPCVs start out at GS-5. There is one exception, though. If you had a particularly good GPA from your undergraduate studies (like a 3.9/4, or something like that), that bumps you up to GS-7. GS-9 is really ONLY applicable to people with a Masters or equivalent higher degree.

Also, make sure you research the appropriate format for a federal resume. It is VERY different from a standard one- or two-page resume. Keep in mind that submitting your resume to NCE-only positions might still result in a 6-month wait to receive an interview; at least, that's been my experience.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
I would still say not to limit yourself to GS-5 or GS-7.  I had no other relevant experience when I applied for the Federal government, and was brought on as a GS-9 solely based upon my PC experience and how I articulated what I had done.  I know at least a couple others from my staging group who had the same experience.

While not Federal employment, PC service is still full-time experience that can be used to meet grade requirements for Federal jobs.

Of course, in the end, its really up to the agency hiring managers and HR staff to qualify you or not!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17