What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Reconsidering... please help  (Read 9805 times)

David

Reconsidering... please help
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »
I have been seriously reconsidering going to the Peace Corps (I am supposed to leave in a few months) for a bunch of reasons (sick family, sister's wedding, medical reasons, etc). I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that was issued an invitation and decided not to go. I need serious advice, pronto!   I don't want to regret my decision.

Offline Andorra

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Reconsidering... please help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 12:47:29 PM »
Being away from the USA, you will definitely miss important events like weddings, births, etc. It's something you have to accept if you want to join Peace Corps. Peace Corps is an experience that will stay with you your whole life, and for many it is worth missing some of these events. But none of us can make your decision for you. Just remember that, even if you do go, if a family emergency happens you can leave Peace Corps anytime and return home.

Virginia

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
You know you can ask to be put on hold for up to 1 year, so if you think that these things that are happening right now take precedence then do it.

If there will be other things like family celebrations: everyone has a birthday once a year whether they like it or not, you will have to realize that you will miss some of them.

It's true that the Peace Corps will let you leave, for vacations and if necessary for "emergencies" but I suggest that if you think these events are more important than your desire to serve, then maybe you shouldn't serve.

It's a sacrifice, for you, for your family, for your friends, but believe me IT IS WORTH IT!  So ask yourself do I really want to do this or did I just THINK I wanted to do this? 

It's a commitment and Peace Corps wants to know that you are ALL IN! Are you?

Offline Amelia.Plant

• Leading Member
    • MASA
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »
I know people who have chosen not to come to PC for a variety of reasons.  I also know some who came, stayed a few weeks or a month and decided to return.  There are many reasons for this:

1.  Family situations at home - sickness, not wanting to miss births etc
2.  Pets
3.  Career goals/didn't like the placement

And many more.

Like previous people have said, no one can make this decision for you.  It is definitely painful to miss things, especially if a family member dies unexpectedly.  Often times we know that we may miss weddings, birthdays, parties etc.  But when someone has a sudden illness or death, it can be very painful to be away from home.  If the person is in your immediate family, PC will fly you home.  Or you may take vacation and go home on your own accord if it doesn't fit PC's definition of "emergency leave."

Your own medical situation is a consideration, of course.  PC does have good medical care and they want to make sure that you stay healthy the whole time.  If you have issues that have come up, contact PC so they place you in a medically safe place.

Obviously PC wants you to commit for the whole 2 years, but sometimes people realize that it isn't for them.  If you think you are always going to regret it if you don't go, you could start your pre-service training and see what happens.  You can always leave PC.  Perhaps that is an unpopular thought, but it's the reality.

Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013
Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013

David

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:18:01 AM »
thanks everyone.  Ok... I am in.  I just needed to be reminded that it isn't like joining the army or something -- I can go home if I need to.  I guess no one can predict the future and know if something will happen back home.  Fingers crossed I am joining the Peace Corps.  Gulp

Offline Amelia.Plant

• Leading Member
    • MASA
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 04:35:53 AM »
Right.  You make the best decision you can with the information you have.  Doesn't mean you can't make another decision in the future.

Very exciting!  Congratulations.
Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:57:27 AM »
I am glad that you posted such a 'human' post. So many volunteers try to squash their 'real life inquires' as it relates to service.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
Congrats for deciding to go through with it, I hope it works out. For others who may be in the same position as you I wanted to point out that there are other ways to serve:

• Peace Corps Response is a shorter term available to seasoned professionals with a higher level of technical experience in their field. (And RPCVs)
  • AmeriCorps allows you to serve underprivileged communities in the US, and for programs like VISTA you can choose your State and program.

Peace Corps is amazing and life-changing, but it is not for everyone and there ARE other options.

Offline Khaleesi

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 11:54:15 PM »
You know you can ask to be put on hold for up to 1 year, so if you think that these things that are happening right now take precedence then do it.

I actually don't think you can still be put on hold after you've already accepted your invitation. I think this is a courtesy extended at any point up to invitation, but once you've accepted, it's not too favorably looked upon to back out. That said, best wishes to you, Dave!

Offline RockinV

• Posting Member
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:44 AM »
Dave
While going thru the process I was contacted and told I was going to be assigned to a country but it was at the same time as a commitment I had made to my nephew, so I said I couldn't. Then a bunch of things happened and I was told I couldn't serve in a Latin American country because I had taken a break to bring my Spanish up to the level "they said" I was supposed to be at. They said i wouldn't be re-activated unless I agreed to go "anywhere".  I was stuck! What happened was I thought about it for over 5-6 weeks. And ultimately I said, was I doing this for me or for those that don't have? And guess what? I am in Paraguay and it is the best place for me!  Is it worth it -HELL YEA! Good luck

Offline wreloise

• Leading Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 08:48:41 AM »
It is amazing, when there is a significant change awaiting, vital personal events may occur.  Each significant change in my life, this is my experience. How have you been successful in the past, through logical deduction or what you feel in your heart?   

With care,
Eloise  :)
Eloise-Born to Serve

Offline RetiredFed

• Leading Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 05:15:47 AM »
Take from an old guy.  Go to the PC.  Those life events you describe are trivial.  Are you gonna hang around for the divorce as well?  At the end of each supposedly wonderful event, ask yourself "I gave up the Peace Corps for this?"  I meet lots of old people who always say "I wish I had joined when I was thinking of it those many years ago"  Life slips right by you and you will never be more free than you are right now.  GO!

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 12:16:40 PM »
Would agree with comments, especially "Old Guy's". One P.C.V. in my group arranged, before accepting,to return home briefly for her sister's wedding very early in her service. She successfully returned and completed her service. If you have more serious domestic concerns, weigh them carefully before being inserted since there is no "trip cancellation" insurance, and there are many other consumers for this "adventure".
Steve

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:11:56 PM »

I actually don't think you can still be put on hold after you've already accepted your invitation. I think this is a courtesy extended at any point up to invitation, but once you've accepted, it's not too favorably looked upon to back out. That said, best wishes to you, Dave!

I just wanted to clarify this point. You are NOT "on hold" at any point with your application. If you tell your recruiter/placement officer that you are not ready/willing to move forward with Peace Corps at this particular time, your application is withdrawn. Your materials will probably be kept on file for up to 12 months and that's why they would allow you to request to "reactivate" your original application. Depending on the circumstances, it's actually quite rare for an applicant to be reconsidered in the future (or so I've heard from those who have tried it).

Offline Naledi

• Posting Member
    • Stephanie Joins the Peace Corps
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 02:22:17 AM »
I agree with all of the above, so I wont restate whats been said. Just know that everyone is PC is missing things, giving up things, having to make this huge commitment. Do what is right for you now, but know that PC has a lot of supports available. You found this forum, so thats great. also check out facebook... future peace corps volunteers. we are all going through similar things!! its better to know what PC is about, than regret it later.