What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Coverdell Fellowship  (Read 1464 times)

Offline wheresmyinvite

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Coverdell Fellowship
« on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:25 AM »
Does anyone know if the Coverdell Fellowship for RPCVs is competitive/limited or if it is offered to all returned volunteers who attend graduate school at an institution that offers it?

The PC website just says all RPCVs who complete service are eligible, but it doesn't specify if it is guaranteed or not.

Offline Khaleesi

• Posting Member
Re: Coverdell Fellowship
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:42:59 PM »
I would hazard a guess that if the website says "eligible" and not "guaranteed," it's probably competitive. If it were guaranteed, I think Peace Corps would be advertising that.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
It is competitive, some schools obviously have more competition than others... usually you first apply to the grad school then you apply to their specific fellows program.

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »
My understanding is that it is competitive. From my research (for my future program) that the schools want RPCV's for a variety of reasons. Of course as long as you did well in your undergraduate I don't see it being an issue.
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
http://www.peacecorps.gov/volunteer/learn/whyvol/eduben/univandprog/?program_type=masters

This is the searchable database of all Masters International and Coverdell Fellowships. Each school lists the specific benefits offered through the fellowship. They are each different, but all are awarded on a competitive basis. The advantage of this fellowship is that you're only in competition with other RPCVs who apply that year rather than all the applicants to the programs. When I've asked various admissions officers, they have told me the fellowships are awarded based on consideration of your entire application, including PC service achievements, prior academic record, standardized test results, application essays and letters of recommendation.