What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Dental Exams and X rays  (Read 7745 times)

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
  • PC Status: Applicant
Dental Exams and X rays
« on: October 30, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
Just wanted to let people know about a great resource for FREE, that's right FREE, dental exams and Xrays. I found a local dentist on this website who did my initial exam and xrays for free. I needed to get a cavity filled as well, and that cost some. The dentist was an RPCV himself, so it was great to talk to him! The medical stuff can get expensive, so always looking for ways to cut costs!

http://www.usa-icd.org/projects/peace-corps/index.htm

Offline Khaleesi

• Posting Member
Re: Dental Exams and X rays
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 01:53:48 AM »
Another tip for dental exams--I live quite far from any of the nearest dental offices listed on the website, but I used Lifebooker (a discount site similar to Groupon or LivingSocial, but focused on stuff such as haircuts) to buy a dental exam, X-ray, and cleaning package for $49. As a dentally uninsured applicant, this was a gold mine.

Luckily, I didn't have any further problems and so didn't have to have any further procedures, but those would probably have to be done at full price, and I would likely have made the drive to one of the free/low-cost dental offices then.

I highly recommend a discount site such as the ones listed above, especially if you live near a large city.

PS: Dental exams can be done within a year before staging, so get started early in case you need work done on your teeth. I actually had my exam package done before I received my invitation because I thought I was due for a cleaning, and I didn't have to do another because it was within the year.

Offline RockinV

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:42:20 AM »
Also remember if things take longer and your exams "expire" then you will be required to update them with either new exams or a written letter from your dentist stating nothing has changed. But they will require new bit wing X-rays.

Offline wreloise

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:49 AM »
Thank you for the information.  It is highly appreciated.
Eloise-Born to Serve

Offline Cynthia W

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 05:20:30 PM »
Hello!
I had my exam and X-rays done at a county-funded clinic (I qualify for such services). However, the clinic will not or can not (I don't know which) release to me any digital X-ray records. They made copies on the paper copier, and I uploaded these, and they were rejected.

I am up against a wall on these digital X-rays, because they just won't give them to me and the Medical Office is uncompromising.

Suggestions? (Oh, and my dental health is fine. The clinic filled a cavity and cleaned my teeth.)

Cynthia

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 02:49:48 AM »
I found this list of places in Texas to get your Peace Corps dental exam and x-ray free or reduced.   http://www.usa-icd.org/projects/peace-corps/TX.html
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline Cynthia W

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Thank you for this list - I'll follow-up in San Antonio.

Offline catie

• Posting Member
    • The Mountain Kingdom - Lesotho Peace Corps
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:21:26 PM »

PS: Dental exams can be done within a year before staging, so get started early in case you need work done on your teeth. I actually had my exam package done before I received my invitation because I thought I was due for a cleaning, and I didn't have to do another because it was within the year.

How do you get the needed paperwork before getting an invitation?

Offline Cynthia W

• Posting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:13:35 AM »
Bad news - I've called 4 dentists on the list and they are all retired. The tradition of helping Peace Corps Volunteers retired with them!

Chelsea D

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 05:37:22 AM »
Thanks so much! That's going to be really helpful.