What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Malaria medicine vs Birth Control Pills  (Read 1109 times)

Jane

Malaria medicine vs Birth Control Pills
« on: January 03, 2014, 12:18:54 PM »
I heard of a case where a woman was on the pill but got pregnant anyway and it had to do with the malaria medication she had to take.  She was married and they were not planning on getting pregnant during their service.  It turns out some of the malaria medicine can cause the birth control pills to NOT WORK. 

Has anyone else heard of this happening?  Which of the malaria pills causes the problem?

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Malaria medicine vs Birth Control Pills
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
I don't know this for sure, but I would guess it was doxycycline. Doxy is actually an antibiotic, and antibiotics are well known to interfere with birth control pills. That's why doctors will tell you to use a backup barrier method while you are on antibiotics. Does anyone have any concrete information to add to this?

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Malaria medicine vs Birth Control Pills
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 06:12:13 AM »
I have heard this about doxy as well, although cannot confirm it. I know that if you're on birth control, the doctors will know that, and you'll have a sit down with them about your health and your prophylaxis really early on in training (in Rwanda it was the same night as arrival). I do know female volunteers who were put on Malerone because they were on birth control.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council