What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Returning Home While Still Serving  (Read 5251 times)

Offline Cat

• Posting Member
    • Wining & Whining
  • PC Status: PCV
Returning Home While Still Serving
« on: January 05, 2014, 01:35:45 PM »
I don't know anything about this; I've obviously read that in an emergency you are able to return to the States while you are serving.. But what about non-emergencies? For instance, do I need to tell someone that I can't be in her wedding, or is that questionable?

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Returning Home While Still Serving
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 03:29:16 PM »
If you have the vacation days you can go anywhere, including the USA, but you pay for your own ticket.  Some volunteers we knew went home for Christmas and for weddings. 

For certain family emergencies (like a very ill family member) the Peace Corps will send you home for a few weeks, and even pay for your ticket.

I think this is the same for all countries.  Speak up everone..

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:22:49 AM »
Same for Rwanda. I ended up going home 3 times, including my extension home leave.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 04:04:17 AM »
I'm so glad to read that others come home for vacation. I was in a FB group where the members berated others for not going the full 27 months in-country. I left the FB group due to such judgmental stances on that on other issues that they deemed not 'hard core'.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 03:53:46 PM »
It was the same in Ghana...

We had a mix of people who went home and some who didn't.

Either way is a 'good' choice, and both have their own challenges.  For those who went home, having to come back was often a bit hard....(at least from what I was told, I didn't take a trip home).

Back then we all were on the lookout for people heading home - good way to get some letters mailed from the states to people back home just to make sure they got there and got there quick.

A couple times we 'used' the people who went home to get some stuff from our friends/family to bring back for us (for me someone who came and visited brought my laptop since I didn't bring it originally).

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline wsalazar

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 06:38:36 PM »
I served in the 70s...I could have used a trip home...it wasn't dedication...but lack of money...I am getting ready to serve again and while it will be easier to handle the isolation. .. I will plan a trip back home...staying the full 27 months makes readjusting harder...

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 12:01:25 AM »
There were plenty of people in m group who went home. This was usually one vacation near holidays or a special event towards the end of the first year. Most also had family or friends visit them. The only problem for most people going home was either money or vacation days, because a transatlantic flight ate up at least a day of vacation in both directions. But our in-country staff was willing to work with people who had to get home for some reason.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
Some volunteers can arrange lengthy vacations into the work in country. Often a break at the end of a year of service is refreshing and favored by local cultures if seen as for example a family duty, etc.
Steve

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
Something no one has mentioned is that there are restrictions on out of country travel. The first 6 months (training and first 3 months at site) and the last 3 months (some exceptions for education programs) volunteers are generally not allowed to travel out of the country. There are probably emergency exceptions for this, but I'm not sure a wedding would qualify as such. As others have stated, it's a matter of leave days. You accrue these at 2 days/month of service (training not included). For the first year, you can only use leave days after you've earned them. In the second year you can "borrow" against future leave days. The number of leave days you can use at once is at the discretion of the country director. I found that periods of 2.5 weeks or less were acceptable, but this varies country by country. Many people I knew went home to be in weddings, though I also know others who missed weddings and stayed in country their whole service.