What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Stayed  (Read 1636 times)

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Stayed
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:31:48 AM »
Hey. I am looking to meet other RPCVs who never actually R'd. I was in Bulgaria from 2010-2012, and ended up staying, marrying, and am now having a child (things I never thought I would be interested in before Peace Corps). I haven't actually been back to the US yet... I would love to exchange experiences with other volunteers who chose to stay in their host country, whether for work, or love, or whatever.

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
Re: Stayed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 06:54:32 AM »
Amelia Plant, one of the members of this Forum stayed in Botswana after the end of her service.  Her COS was in June 2013 and I think she is still there.  Check out her member profile here:  http://peacecorpsforum.com/index.php?topic=67.0
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline Amelia.Plant

• Leading Member
    • MASA
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 05:39:04 AM »
Hi Koji,

Sorry about my delayed response!  I have been traveling a lot these past couple of months and have been a bit absent from the Forum.  Like Marion said, I am still in Botswana.  I COS'd end of May last year and I have found a job with an American organization in the capital.  I am not quite sure how long I plan to stay, but am enjoying it very much.  I enjoy Botswana in a different way than when I was a PCV, but generally I am having a great time.  It is a different experience having a job than being a PCV but I like it.

My boyfriend was the impetus for me to stay, but I also have a lot of friends and other things going on.  I really feel like I have a life here.  It's nice.  Do you have plans to return to the states?
Amelia
RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 04:53:57 AM »
Hey Amelia. It's interesting that you stayed. Do you think that you will end up marrying your boyfriend (Perhaps too personal of a question- we never really know what will happen in relationships)? I found a lot of peace corps volunteers just didn't understand how I could marry a host-country national, and I probably would not have stayed behind if I didn't have other reasons besides my boyfriend at the time.

I don't have any plans to return to the states for the time being. Eventually we would like to travel there, just for vacation, but it is really difficult for a Bulgarian to get a travel visa to the US when they are married to a citizen. Right now there are debates about changing the US Visa rules for Bulgaria so I am keeping my fingers crossed on that. Otherwise we will have to wait until I buy a house and start a job here.

Oddly, I find myself somewhat saddened at the idea that I will never be able to do Peace Corps again. I loved my PC experience and always thought I would do a second post, or at least a response corps. Now that I am married to a foreigner that option is gone and I find it strange to think that I wont be a PCV again.