What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Restless Applicant Syndrome - I have it, do you?  (Read 9712 times)

Warner

Restless Applicant Syndrome - I have it, do you?
« on: January 18, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »
Restless Applicant Syndrome (RAS) - you might have it
  • if you constantly read other volunteers' Peace Corps blogs trying to learn what you are letting yourself in for
  • if you check your email constantly hoping for news, any news, about your application
add to this list if you have RAS

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Restless Applicant Syndrome - I have it, do you?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 07:22:41 AM »
There is an epidemic of RAS! It was once thought the only cure was an invitation. However, I have undergone this treatment and found it simply changes the symptoms. Current symptoms include incessant research about my country of service and searches for any other invitees on facebook. I'm scheduled to undergo a treatment for these symptoms called staging. I'll let you know if this treatment works. However, I suspect the only cure is actually arriving in country!

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:43:56 AM »
Yep. Making packing lists, medicine lists, to do lists, yard sale lists, go visit lists, eat before I leave lists, lists for family members...
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline amrowe

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 10:38:30 PM »
Symptoms of RAS
-receiving email alerts via iphone, each email notification sends you into a flurry of hope then utter disappointment (and I get a lot of emails)
-constantly checking the timeline analysis that was so graciously posted on the PC Facebook group, and comparing it to your own calculations
-keeping a list of the amazing projects other PCVs have done and adding to it your own ideas
-trying to improve or acquire skills that would be valuable at your project site
-constant worry that your invite will never come, mixed with lots of daydreams about serving
-addicted to both the PC forum and Facebook page
-and all other symptoms already mentioned

Offline catie

• Posting Member
    • The Mountain Kingdom - Lesotho Peace Corps
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:26:29 AM »
I have it waiting for my invitation!
Symptoms- sending a useful Peace Corps info link to yourself via email and then forgetting and then getting really excited to have 1 new email, only it's from you...

Offline Naledi

• Posting Member
    • Stephanie Joins the Peace Corps
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:43:40 AM »
 :D haha, all of the above is accurate. There is then a new flurry of issues once the excitement of being in country hits. everything is just NEW! people still make fun of me for my obsession with baby donkeys and goats. cutest things ever, and sorry, we don't just have them walking the streets of Massachusetts. Let it happen, enjoy the excitement. Read all the blogs you can handle, make all the lists your heart desires! Eat the good foods, see your friends and family, and just enjoy it!  ;D

Offline jessmrandall

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »
So glad to know I'm not the only one with deficiencies of Vitamin P (patience! :P)

I had my interview 2 weeks ago and I'm attempting to mitigate the symptoms..

My remedies have included:
creating a Pinterest board
reading ALL the blogs
memorizing the Wiki
rationing my email and application status checks

Offline katrebhood

• Posting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 10:53:33 AM »
I most certainly have RAS and it's only been a week since I received my nomination!! From what I've been told, the application process is still changing, but since I received my nomination after June 1st, then I should receive my invitation (assuming I get one) before I receive any paperwork or tasks. I check my email every 5 minutes and find myself endlessly researching conditions in Zambia (the country I was nominated for) and reading blogs of current PCV's in Zambia. And now I'm even more anxious because I've heard people rarely get invited to the country they are nominated for -- anyone have an idea of how true this is? Oh, and I also created a Pinterest board with places to visit in and around Zambia and clothing ideas that are conservative enough for Zambia. I am seriously losing my mind!

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 07:46:54 AM »
My feeling is that for many of the programs in that region a pretty good percentage of the nominations that are O.K. for the living conditions and medical situations there go somewhere in that region. The recruiter you talked with is now history and your file (coded into the PC system) combined with external factors dictate the process. Still, my guess is that a larger percentage of nominations to Africa end up going there than other regions.
Steve

Offline ncdesertprincess

• Posting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »
Yes, I have it bad....  I check my email at least three times a day and my PC portal status everyday. Today, the status rolled back from mominated to interviewed. I don't know if it's a website glitch, or something else???

This process has taught me that life is life and we can't control the progress of events.  Instead, we can practice patience and be present.

Apat1634

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
RAS has taught me that I must work on my patience and that checking my email every five minutes is not healthy. Final questionare done in June... I really need a hobbie other than reading peace corps forums. Maybe I'll start Knitting!   :)

fishman

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »
Restless Applicant Syndrome (RAS) - you might have it
  • if you constantly read other volunteers' Peace Corps blogs trying to learn what you are letting yourself in for
  • if you check your email constantly hoping for news, any news, about your application
add to this list if you have RAS

Yes! That is me :-) I am tentatively recommended to leave January 2015, but final decision gets made no later than September 25, 2014

Offline AmandaJeanus

• Posting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2014, 01:51:25 PM »
I thought I was alone!
Together we can fight against RAS. I have wasted too many hours checking emails, cyber stalking strangers youtube channels and Tumblers. My days at work are spent fantasizing about different toilet possibilities abroad! Help us help each other!

Offline mnov

• Posting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 06:31:15 PM »
Yeah, I totally have RAS.  Within the environmental sector, I only qualify for Philippines, so I have been Googling PC Philippines blogs constantly, as well as checking my app status daily haha!  Unfortunately, the departure date for Philippines is July 2015, so I still have a couple months to hear from them (I've had to resist calling Placement to see if there is any update on my app).

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 03:42:11 PM »
Movement!
I have had RAS, restless applicant syndrome for a little bit now. Things finally started to happen today and while it is not huge news, it is finally some movement in the process! Which might be bittersweet because it was great to have something happen, but now I'm even more filled with excitement and anticipation of what comes next!