What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Housing and Sites  (Read 1317 times)

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
Housing and Sites
« on: January 25, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »
Which countries tend to have more rugged (no electricity, no running water) and which tend to have more modern housing? Which did you prefer?

Folk, I am a RPCV.  I am simply asking who had rough and who had posh--and what did you prefer.

I had posh and was kind of bummed that I had it so posh.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
Re: Housing and Sites
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 04:49:42 PM »
I would bet that in ANY given country there is probably a wide range of living conditions depending on where you live.  The size of your village and the proximity to a large city probably has a lot to do with what amenities you have. 

My wife and I had a fairly "Posh Corps" experience.  It was easier than we expected, and I was glad to have electricity, running water and the other nice things we had.  I don't think it affects your service or what you get out of it at all.  We just considered ourselves lucky.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:17:03 PM »
I am an applicant so I am not speaking first hand, but from what I gather from people I talked to that are RPCV's said that even within countries housing varies for many people even ones in the same training group.
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:38 PM »
You pretty much have to be ready for whatever. As was stated, within the same country, housing can vary a great deal. One person will have no modern amenities, and another will have them all. Each has its own appeal. I thought my experience would be more "rugged" than the situation I received, but there are always challenges, regardless.