What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Confused!  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Molly

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Confused!
« on: January 26, 2014, 05:52:21 PM »
Hi,
So I've been medically pre-cleared and legally cleared. I also filled out a placement questionnaire but I haven't heard from peace corps in over a month. I'm nominated for the health sector with a tentative leave date June 2014, but no region specified. I'm hoping for Africa, but we shall see!

I'm confused because every blog I've read has said that the giant time consuming medical packet comes before the invitation, but I haven't received it yet. Could they be placing me first before the medical evaluations?

Offline saraweaves

• Posting Member
Re: Confused!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 07:25:54 PM »
Hi, be aware that many blogs pre-date the new application process that began in 2012, I believe. Now, you get medically pre-cleared (meaning they flag and screen for major and/or obvious problems), but the full medical stuff doesn't come until after your invitation. It also all comes electronically. You'll get an email as soon as you accept your invitation directing you to go to the MAP and see your tasks. Right away you'll see vaccination and dental stuff. If you got invited less than 6 months before staging all the other stuff will be there too - if your invitation comes early, all of that will arrive 180 days before staging. It varies depending on your age and gender, and while it's a lot, it's not unmanageable. Good luck.

Offline Molly

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 07:33:37 PM »
Thank you! That's a relief!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 08:17:55 AM »
What saraweaves said - I just got my invite on Friday, and after I accepted I received an email telling me to check the MAP again; lots of new tasks! :)

In the old process, we did EVERYTHING before invite - some people received their invites only weeks before staging.  Now you have at least 4 months lead time.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17