What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: PCV Discounts  (Read 13349 times)

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
PCV Discounts
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
So I know the Prodeals aren't supposed to be widely advertised, but there are a ton out there that PCVs can get if they look around. Post here which companies gave you their Prodeal discount.

For those who are new, "Prodeals" are special (significant) discounts available to "PROfessionals" employed in areas and careers where the company's goods would be regularly used. A lot of outdoor apparel and equipment brands have this offer. They will typically need a way to verify your status, so do not apply until you have received your invitation (as they will probably contact Peace Corps to verify).

North Face
Merrell
Osprey

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
Re: PCV Discounts
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 02:35:01 AM »
I had prodeals from:
  • exofficio (which I HIGHLY recommend- their clothing stands up to washing and lasts forever!),
  • Eagle Creek (luggage/traveling stuff),
  • golite (although I am not 100% sure if I got the prodeal with them through PC or my previous job- but great clothing and backpacks),
  • and backcountry.com (who were SUPER nice about getting me enrolled).

I looked into (and enrolled in) chaco and keen but never used them. Northface and Brooks had no Peace Corps Discount at the time (2010). Clif Bar said they would send a sampling of bars to my US address before I left, but I was too late contacting them.

Offline saraweaves

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »
I just got the prodeal discount at Eagle Creek and it was awesome - 50% off, a huge savings. I just sent them an email per the Wiki page instructions, they answered within a day and gave me access to the prodeal page. Fantastic!

Offline jlmanzak

• Leading Member
    • A Wandering Path Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 06:24:02 PM »
I also did the Eagle Creek prodeal and loved it and their products. I've gotten some great deals from local companies also, just by asking. For example, my optometrist threw in a couple of free hard eyeglasses cases, and my local bike shop gave me 10% off a helmet, and spent a good hour with me teaching me basic bike maintenance (how to change a tube, adjust the brakes etc) for free, when they usually charge for classes. If you're polite, it never hurts to ask!

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 07:54:09 PM »
I did GoLite as well, and if I remember right I just wrote to them and said that I was going to be a PCV, that I loved their products, and that i was interested if there was any way we could work out a pro-deal so that I could make use of them while serving.

A fair amount of companies are receptive to this if you are sincere and outgoing enough.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline Khaleesi

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
I contacted North Face and Osprey, and neither of them give out Pro Deals to PCVs any more.

The wiki http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/Volunteer_discounts is a good starting point. Please feel free to add on to the wiki volunteer discounts if you've successfully gotten one that's not on the list!

Trek Light Gear

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 01:39:31 PM »
Just wanted to let you all know that Trek Light Gear offers a 20% discount to all PCV's and we can also help you get up to 40% off our gear if you're able to do a group order (10 or more)  We have hammocks, bug nets, ultralight daypacks and more that are absolute essentials for almost anywhere in the world you might be working.  All you have to do is contact us (http://www.treklightgear.com/catalog/pc/contact.asp) and provide your acceptance letter or other verification and we'll get right back to you with easy instructions for your discount.  We're also happy to ship international if you're already stationed.

We've been helping PCV's for years and love doing whatever we can to help you get the gear you need for your time abroad.  If there's anything I can do to help personally just let me know!

--
Seth Haber
Trek Light Gear | Founder, CEO
http://www.treklightgear.com

Keri

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
GRAYL offers a 30% discount to Peace Corps volunteers.  Email us with your letter or ID verification to receive the discount code: marketing @thegrayl.com
GRAYL allows the truly adventurous to drink from any body of water and the less adventurous to drink from any hotel sink. Just fill, press & drink! GRAYL's award winning and patent-pending water purifier filters toxins from water without any pumping, waiting, sucking, squeezing, or use of chemicals. Suitable for international travel and outdoor use worldwide, GRAYL's Purifier removes 99.9999% of viruses (e.g. Hepatitis A, SARS, Rotavirus); 99.9999% of disease-causing bacteria (e.g. E. coli, Salmonella); 99.999% of protozoan cysts (e.g. Giardia); and filters many chemicals (e.g. chlorine, iodine) and heavy metals (e.g. lead, arsenic) that affect health, flavor and odor. GRAYL is an eco-friendly way to travel and reduce reliance on bottled water while traveling.

PCPanama2016

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
As it was mentioned before the volunteer page on Wikipedia:   http://www.peacecorpswiki.org/Volunteer_discounts
Another good place is through ProMotive, they offer discounts to professionals in the environmental fields this being said there is also a team for Peace Corps you can join. They have excellent deals on all sorts of items ranging from Kelty camping equipment to Goalzero portable solar chargers. Most of these discounts are substantial also, from 35% off retail to close to 60% off (https://www.promotive.com/). Eagle Nest Outfitters offers a ProDeal, you can access here: https://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/pro-deals/. There are numerous other discounts and deals out there you just have to start looking.

sam

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
I'm the RCV rep for a cool running apparel social buisness called Janji that provides discounts for PCVs and RPCVs. Just email sam.bar@runjanji.com with your acceptance letter or DOS to get the discount code