What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Getting mail from home  (Read 1380 times)

Alexandra

Getting mail from home
« on: February 18, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
Some friends have asked me if they can send me mail and "care packages" from home.  I want to get stuff from home if people are willing to send it, but am wondering how reliable the mail is?  What sort of experiences have you Volunteers and RPCV's had with mail.  Did you get all of the things mailed to you?  How long did it take to get it?  I know this probably varies by country but I would like to hear how it was for you.

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Getting mail from home
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:43:52 PM »
I have not left yet. I believe care packages are always welcomed to the volunteer from home. The country I am in states that mail from US is usually 3-4 weeks. I have heard other countries taking longer 6-8 weeks it all varies depending on the country I am sure.
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Getting mail from home
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 07:22:05 AM »
I would tell people to definitely be READY to send care packages, but hold off until you can get some details on your country - it really depends on the country what is and isn't acceptable to send, as well as how long it'll take to get there.

For me, most packages seemed to show up between 2-3 months from when they were sent.  I had one take 2 years, and a couple that never arrived.  One of the other volunteers who had extended actually received a package she was sent BEFORE she left for staging just before she was ready to close-of-service in her THIRD year.

In some countries it is also expensive to RECEIVE packages, as you have to pay a customs duty or fee (aka bribe) to pick them up.  Also, I believe some countries don't allow you to receive anything but letter mail during pre-service training.

In any case, almost every package I received was opened up by someone and in many cases something was missing.  Usually something small, but I know of other people who were missing some electronics or other things sent over.  I would talk to people from the country you've been invited to about how packages work there specifically.

Regardless of how long they took or how much of a pain they were to get, we always appreciated whatever we received.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17