What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Dealing with financial matters back home while serving  (Read 2579 times)

Warner

Dealing with financial matters back home while serving
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »
I have some investments in retirement accounts that I manage.  When I get to my country of service how likely is it that I will have access to the internet to keep track of my retirement account investments, etc? 

I want to know because if I have access and I am able to change things in response to what is happening in the world I will invest differently than if I cannot.

I would be interested in knowing what others plan to do.

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Dealing with financial matters back home while serving
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
I believe it all depends on where you're serving and even what part of the country you will be serving. It was recommended to get a power of attorney to help with financial matters while overseas. I'm sure you will find libraries/internet cafes that you can use if you do not have internet at home.
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline libby

• Posting Member
    • Njabulo naNomsa
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 04:41:45 AM »
We gave our accountant power of attorney and we've had to confer with our financial advisor a few times (mainly bonds maturing). It's probably going to depend on your country how available internet is.

Obviously, I have internet here :) (sometimes I wish I didn't, it's kind of a crutch). Cell towers are ubiquitous where internet is not, and our FP has always just called us on our cell.

Offline wreloise

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 11:53:50 AM »
For my phone carrier and my apartment lease, I am believing I can utilize the benefits allowed to military personnel for early termination of contracts.
Eloise-Born to Serve

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:34:56 PM »
Make sure you double-check that - my apartment said the same thing, but when I looked into it, they required a set of MILITARY orders, and did not honor a Peace Corps invite.  A lot of apartment leasing personnel don't understand the difference, definitely best to double-check.

I know on the Future Peace Corps Volunteer Facebook page there was a lot of discussion about phone carriers, although I admit I didn't read it all as I am on a month-to-month.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline wreloise

• Leading Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
Okay, thank you.  I hope the manager of the complex honor Peace Corps deployment....the early termination is the rent and other fees.....Wow!  money I donot have saved.
Eloise-Born to Serve

Offline canongirl87

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 03:02:30 AM »
So, I don't' have the same level of financial obligations - but when I was living overseas for grad school, I found having given my parents power of attorney to actually be quite helpful. Maybe there is someone you trust back home to handle financial matters in your place? I got my POA documents via LegalZoom - it was less than $50.00