What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: AfterCorps - Peace Corps health insurance - Review  (Read 2688 times)

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
AfterCorps - Peace Corps health insurance - Review
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:38:00 PM »
When we COS'd we were given the option to sign up for up to 18 months of AfterCorps health insurance. 

Price:  As senior citizens we thought the price was excellent (about $225 per person per month).  Some of our younger friends thought the price seemed high to them.

Service:  I only used it once to have a prescription filled, and had no problem.  My wife, on the other hand had a lot of problems.  She had some surgery and there seemed to be no end to the hassles.  There was a lot of confusion as to which forms were needed to be filled out.  There was a lot of confusion about which treatment was to be covered under Workers Comp and which was AfterCorps.  Aftercorps made payments to providers very slowly and in one case to the wrong doctor.  We were not happy with them, and were glad to drop them when we got a job that provided health insurance as a benefit.
   I heard a lot of other negative comments from other RPCV's that were in our group. 

Shortly before we dropped AfterCorps we got a letter from them stating that they were going to drop us (and everyone else) anyway because under the new health insurance law we would have to get our insurance from one of the new exchanges.

So, bottom line, AfterCorps sucked but the price seemed good (for seniors).  If it is still available when you COS you should take it unless you have an alternative.

Are they even offering it now?  I would love to hear reviews from other RPCV's about AfterCorps.

Offline libby

• Posting Member
    • Njabulo naNomsa
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: AfterCorps - Peace Corps health insurance - Review
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 04:11:34 AM »
We intended to use AfterCorps as long as we could after returning home and we were happy about the low cost. We'll both be in a new age bracket and Group Health (our pre-service provider) told us to expect premiums in the 1200-1500 dollar per month range, ouch!

However, we received communication from Peace Corps a few months ago outlining changes to post-service health care. AfterCorps doesn't meet the minimum threshold of coverage required by the Affordable Care Act. The information we were sent indicates that we'll get After Corps for one month post service, and can extend for two additional months. RPCVs are expected to acquire coverage through the new exchanges. I imagine we'll learn more (I hope we do) at our COS conference in June.

I looked at our state's (WA) exchange, and we won't be much better off than we were before we left. Looks like the least expensive plan will be a bronze plan with a ~10k deductible for 700 bucks a month. Oh, how I wish we'd gotten single payer. Individual plan health insurance will be our single largest expenditure -- even higher than our condo dues.

Offline wreloise

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »
Thank you for the info.  Do you plan to work full-time when you return to the states?  If so, I wonder what type of insurance coverage will be available.
Eloise-Born to Serve

Offline libby

• Posting Member
    • Njabulo naNomsa
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:46 AM »
We don't plan on working full time. We're semi-retired. The potential good news is that our taxable Peace Corps income is what's bumped us over the subsidy threshold. So in another year we may qualify for a subsidy.