What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: luggage  (Read 7775 times)

Offline gxeninjo

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
luggage
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:07:36 AM »
I will be leaving for Cambodia in July, and I am trying to figure out what the best luggage to take is. How sturdy does it have to be? What worked for you? I know I have to pack quite a bit, as my sizes aren't the usual ones, especially in shoes. Do you have any suggestions?

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: luggage
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »
While this is a question that is best answered by Cambodian PCVs, I'll weigh in.

My main suggestion would be to make sure you can carry everything you bring all at once. Expanding duffel bags are great, the ones that you sling over your shoulder. They can also then be packed down and stashed pretty easy.

Many people ask about rollers, and depending on the country they're really only useful in airports. I would suggest a backpack style, too. One that you can use when travelling out of site, carry for longer durations, fits between your feet/legs when on a bus, and can handle being tossed around and other rugged things. If you want, a run to REI or similiar outdoor store would help; tell them what you're doing and they should have some recommendations. Top 2 important things are that it fits comfortably and that it can handle being tossed around. Size and style are personal choices.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 03:26:54 PM »
If you DO get a roller (which I do suggest - especially one that has the option of being carried either backpack or duffel style) make sure you get one with big wheels, and not the small plastic ones you often see.  It will make a BIG difference when rolling over uneven surfaces.

Also - check out Eagle Creek.  They've got some good stuff and have a really good Peace Corps prodeal with a sizeable discount.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:45:30 AM »
With the backpack style- they are great! BUT, remember to get it fitted properly- either go to a store where they will fit it (Like the previous poster suggested, REI or somewhere similar) or look up some videos online about how to properly pack and wear a hiking pack. Several volunteers in my group went out and bought backpacking packs for service and had no clue how to wear them efficiently- and the extra weight those big packs can hold can hurt your back and shoulders if you do not wear them correctly- a few adjustments of the straps makes a WORLD of difference. So, if you are not familiar with them and you go that route (Which I highly suggest you do) find a friend, professional, or website to show you how to wear it properly.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
Do not go for more than one large piece since most airlines have an weight limit and PC may not pay for more. I would size one piece (maybe a backpack or with wheels) for bus transportation (and walking the last few blocks?) or for shorter two or three day trainings or visits. You can always buy luggage, but perhaps not other items cheaply when you are serving for your immediate or end of service needs.
Steve

Offline gxeninjo

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 01:18:32 PM »
Thank you all for the advice. So far I have gotten a roller, my current job had closeout on some luggage, so I got a sturdy four piece set that fits the requirements in the handbook. I can't take it all with me, but my family is interested in the pieces I don't take.  I also found a bag that works as a duffel and backpack and packs into a toiletry case. I will have to go check out REI for a couple of things then, and will look at good backpacks then. My aunt also suggested that I can pack bags, put them in a suitcase, and pack around them. Have any of you tried this?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 09:05:55 AM »
Do you mean packing a duffle or small backpack in your suitcase? I packed my clothes in a compression duffle that went in my large suitcase and I packed my small hiking backpack in my larger one. The compression duffle helped my clothes take up less space and became an extra bag for me that I occasionally used at site. The empty backpack was useful during the first week of training. We were at a hotel before going to our host families and we were given a LOT of information (binders) from our staff. It was nice to just pull out an extra backpack to put all of that in without having to repack my large bag and try to find room for it.

A bit of an aside- when thinking about bags and storage you might want to pack zip lock bags- either pack your things in zip locks or pack an extra box of them. I know they were always in high demand among our volunteers as they are impossible to find in Bulgaria.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 10:07:26 AM »
Also - don't forget about the prodeals you can get as an invitee.  I used Eagle Creek's to buy most of my luggage and packing stuff, and they have a sizeable discount off their products; you just need to provide a copy of your invite email to them.

I basically went to REI or other stores to see what type of luggage I liked, then ordered it from Eagle Creek through the ProDeal.

Jeff.

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 01:56:49 PM »
Definitely bring ziplock bags of all sizes. I used them all the time for just about everything.

In fact, pack as many ziplock bags and rolls of duct tape as you can fit!
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council