What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Nomination, but no location?  (Read 1781 times)

Offline Kraken

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Nomination, but no location?
« on: March 19, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
I got an email from my recruiter late tonight with a nomination. From what I can understand, most nominations include the region and possible leave date. Mine, however, just says I've been nominated for "service in the Peace Corps." I scoured the email for more info, but found nothing. Is this typical? If it isn't, is there any particular reason I wouldn't receive this information?

Offline Stephanie Lynne

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Nomination, but no location?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 01:14:21 AM »
From what I've heard through the grapevine, the application process is changing again so more people aren't receiving a country they've been nominated for.  It sounds like this is going to be a more standard occurrence with those who are applying recently rather than what has occurred with those who have already applied and been nominated.
Hope that helps and anyone else please say something if I've misunderstood.

Sarah

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:43:40 PM »
Some candidates need to go through additional medical clearance before they can be assigned to a specific country. This is just to make sure that PC places you in a place where any medical needs you have can be met.

Once you get your medical pre-clearance, a member of the placement staff will look over your file and will place you in a specific program.

Offline cdillon8769

• Forum Champion
  • Be the change you want to see
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:10:25 PM »
I was nominated without a region or date of leaving. I am now leaving in June for Lesotho, Africa. For me, the not knowing made the nomination both easier and harder. Easier because I didn't obsess over a location, but harder because I had no clue. Looking back (hind sight is always 20/20) it was a better thing for me.
Caroline
Invitee: Lesotho, Africa June 2014

"The ones crazy enough to believe that they can change the world, do" Steve Jobs

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:03:16 PM »
It could be that your availability date was so far out, the recruiter who nominated you wasn't sure which programs would be the best fit because the program requests hadn't been completed yet or something. I think not having a specific country does leave you more open-minded when you get to the placement stage. Sometimes people get so obsessed about the country of nomination that they get totally thrown for a loop when a request is made for them to serve another country where they're more greatly needed.