What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: New Process Timeline?  (Read 11139 times)

Offline cori4777

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
New Process Timeline?
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:56:45 PM »
Hey everyone,

I realize the Peace Corps application process changed relatively recently to legal & medical pre-clearance so most of the medical tests aren't necessary until later. I was recently nominated (Feb 21st for a January 2015 departure), medically pre-cleared same day, and received legal pre-clearance about a week ago but there doesn't seem to be much info on my next steps or approximate wait time.

I was hoping some recent volunteers could give me a rough timeline of about how long between legal & medical pre-clearance and official invitation? Thanks for any help!!

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: New Process Timeline?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
Not a recent PCV.  Someone from Dubuque cleared before 6/2013 learned in late January accepted early June PSO to Africa about 6 months later than she had thought she might join? If you are completely cleared, then be prepared for a wait. It will depend on a "matching" process that  starts now, has something to do with what the recruiter mentioned, but is done elsewhere by others. You need to ask a 2013 PCV, but you may be in "limbo" until late summer. You can guess a little based on what locations start a new batch in 1/2015, but events and other factors out of your and PC staff control make for some uncertainty on the timeline among other things.
Steve

Offline Stephanie Lynne

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »
For a timeline reference, I've been waiting 3 months since legal clearance for an invitation.  My nomination is September 2014.  I received a questionnaire from Placement a month ago.  Limbo is the correct term for sure! Now is the time you'll need to exercise patience!

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
The process was reformed in August 2012. Another reform is coming later this year, but has not yet been implemented in its entirety. The last general information meeting I attended, the recruiter said the average timeline from submitting application to getting on a plane is about 9 months. That's for people who applied after August 2012.

Offline lhadeedha

• Posting Member
    • Over 50 in the Peace Corps
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:48:22 PM »
I applied June 2013, interviewed July 19, nominated July 31st med and legal cleared Sept 30. Government closed on Oct 1.
My invite came on Jan 29th. My timeline has been exactly what my recruiter told me. Some people in my group got their invited earlier than me but it looked to me from FB as if the PC did them in an orderly fashion by sector. I am CED and I think that sector was the last invites sent out. You must get your invite 4 months before departure. I doubt that they send out invited before 6 month from departure date anymore because much of your medical must be within 6 months of departure. Some (Pap) need to be done within 4 months of departure.

Offline RetiredFed

• Leading Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 05:17:58 AM »
I just checked to be sure.  I was invited 7 months before departure.

Offline ksleo

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
Someone on this reddit page listed out all the steps for the new process in order.  Thought you might appreciate it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/peacecorps/comments/20tjwe/application_timeline_update/

Offline breezy03

• Posting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
Anyone experience less than four months?

I've been on medical hold (for pre-clearance) and just received medical pre-clearance last Friday which I apparently don't even need anymore because of the new application system? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to wait until next year to leave. I've been waiting a year already.  :o

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:56 PM »
Anyone experience less than four months?

I've been on medical hold (for pre-clearance) and just received medical pre-clearance last Friday which I apparently don't even need anymore because of the new application system? I was really hoping I wouldn't have to wait until next year to leave. I've been waiting a year already.  :o

The 4 months thing is an internal mandate in Peace Corps. That is their deadline to invite people because of the final legal and medical clearance which happens AFTER the invitation (yes, there are even MORE medical things to do), as well as things like passport and visa applications. Back when I applied (2009-2010) you had to do EVERYTHING before you got invited...without knowing if you'd be invited or not. The issue with getting invited to a 2014 program at this point is the lack of programs available. August, September, and October programs have deadlines which have passed, which means they are likely full (unless invitees decide not to go last minute). November and December each have only ONE program departing. I think the deadline for the November program might have passed already, too, leaving just the December program.

Then there's the complication of your medical pre-clearance. Yes, you do still need it if you applied and were nominated prior to June 1. This is actually not a disadvantage as it will make you more likely to receive final medical clearance to your country of invite. Those who won't do medical until AFTER their invitation might find that they can't get final medical clearance in time for their departure (this is a guess, not a certainty).

Anyway, your medical pre-clearance generates an "approved" list of countries to which you can be invited as they are the ones who can support your medical needs. So Placement will have to figure out which countries on your approved list have programs which match your qualifications and preferences.

In the old system, waiting a year wasn't actually that uncommon. A person in my group was in the process for 2 years due to medical issues (again because everything had to be finalized before your invite). The new process tries to dramatically cut down that time, but no one has been invited in the whole new process that went live July 1, so we'll have to wait and see.