What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Unfair medical separation  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Greg

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
Unfair medical separation
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
I need help. My son was  unfairly separated today for flimsy medical reasons with just 1 year left to go. I should know as I am a Board Certified physician. We will appeal but the bureaucracy is intimidating. Please advise.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Unfair medical separation
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 08:23:06 AM »
This, and other separations can get complicated upon "appeal". In my very limited experience the Peace Corps staff routinely uses separation. If it is a medical matter of for example days away from site or recovery time frames successful appeals may be difficult. On the other hand, with one year of service your family's cost-benefit analysis of "quality of life" considerations might be more important than "fairness".
Steve

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 12:51:28 PM »
For people who weren't deathly ill, there were usually two reasons that people received a medical separation (which came accompanied by 'flimsy' reason) where I was serving:

1) They did not think the cost-benefit to them was in their favor due to the difficulty of getting medical care for something that here would be considered routine.  What is and isn't available would obviously vary by country, but as an example, when I served someone had to have a wisdom tooth extracted and they had to FLY her 6 hours to the closest place for treatment that met whatever standards they set...but that was back before budgets were an issue, so they probably wouldn't do that now, and may have in fact medically separated her.

2) They used medical separation as a reason when someone did something that was against policy or violated a medical rule and the country director agreed not to administratively separate them (admin sep = being fired, in general).  An example in my country was people who were caught not taking their malaria pills; that was grounds for immediate admin sep, but usually they would just give you a medical separation instead.

Actually there was a third, which almost happened to me:

3) A non-serious/non-life-threatening injury and/or illness that would take significant time to heal and would have an impact on a PCV's ability to accomplish their projects would sometimes result in an admin separation, especially if a year or less was all that was left of service.  Of course, what we as volunteers considered impacting our projects/work is often different from what the medical office did....in my case my arguments won out.

We did have one volunteer who was medically separated due to a non-serious issue that could not be treated/accommodated in-country, and was allowed to come back with the next training group the following year.  They did make her do PST again, but she did get to complete a full two years (actually three - the first year with us, plus the two additional).

Good luck with the appeal.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline John

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Hey Greg, how did your appeal go? do you have any advice? thanks!

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 02:24:53 AM »
In my experience, 'flimsy' med-seps were usually an alternative to an admin sep to save the volunteer's reputation and help the future employ-ability. Of course, it could be things they don't have the ability to deal with in country or things that would make him miss too many days or be unable to perform his duties.

Without knowing what country or the reason for the med sep, it is pretty hard to say whether your appeal will go through. Of course, you can try.