What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Peace Corps Applicant  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Briannemm

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Peace Corps Applicant
« on: April 17, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
i just recently sent in my application for the peace corps.  i would like to go to a country where its mostly warm instead of cold.. and maybe somewhere where there will be other people around my age.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Peace Corps Applicant
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:30 AM »
Congrats on sending in your application. :)

I also wanted to go to a warmer country. I am from Tucson and the worst thing I could imagine was a cold winter. When I got invited to Bulgaria, which regularly gets snow in the winter, I actually freaked out a bit. I didn't even own a winter coat. But my in-country staff worked with me, putting me in the warmest part of the country that gets the least amount of snow, and I actually learned to appreciate the winter- I learned to ski and snowboard with the kids I was working with. I would still rather live somewhere warm (I am still living in Bulgaria now :)) but two years of moderate winter wasn't as bad as I thought.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Peace Corps Applicant
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 08:39:53 PM »
Well, one thing about Peace Corps - unless you have a good (i.e., medical) reason for hot vs. cold, I can pretty much assure you that they probably won't really consider that.

I expressed a strong desire to go to a place that wasn't too warm, and ended up being invited to Ghana....

That being said, it was a great experience, and I can't imagine having gone anywhere else.

As for age - I wouldn't worry too much about that as most countries have a wide range of ages in the training groups.  In Ghana, ages of volunteers varied from 19 to 63, with pretty much everything in between.

I'm seeing a similar trend this time through as well (in terms of ages).
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17