Author Topic: Mentoring and Peer Support in your country of service  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Naledi

• Posting Member
    • Stephanie Joins the Peace Corps
  • PC Status: PCV
Mentoring and Peer Support in your country of service
« on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:01 PM »
Hi Guys! I am on SVAC and looking to gather any information possible to put together so that countries that do not already have mentoring programs or peer support programs in place, could go to their country director with resources in starting it up.

Currently Botswana has:
1. A mentoring program for recently invited people to connect with current PCVs already serving in their country. They try to set up the mentors with a mentee in the same job, although it is not always possible.
2. Shadowing during PST. About 3 weeks in PCTs are off to shadow a PCV in their village. Again, job matches are attempted, and the mentor/mentee connection is attempted, although again, not always possible.
3. PSDN- Peer Support Diversity Network. We get a variety of PCVs on this committee who is there with an open ear to listen to anything at all, including adjustment issues. The committee is trained by PC staff and know when they have to report the call in to a professional. They are not counselors, but peer supporters.

What do you have in your country?
[/size]

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Mentoring and Peer Support in your country of service
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 07:28:28 AM »
PC Jordan had all these programs (customized for local conditions) in place years ago.
Steve

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Mentoring and Peer Support in your country of service
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:27:00 AM »
I do not like formal mentoring. I prefer finding a mentor or mentee via a personality match. I think that there should be a Speed Dating type network event where new volunteers get to know current volunteers in a country. The mentoring/matching will happen naturally.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur