What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Bringing my dslr?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline ianwyn

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Bringing my dslr?
« on: April 28, 2014, 10:36:45 PM »
I'm submitting my app in a few weeks and am thinking if bringing my dslr is a good idea. It's a higher end dslr and the lenses I have are expensive. I obviously plan on getting everything insured etc. Would you say there's a limit on how expensive your stuff should be? I don't really think it would matter all that much since any dslr camera would look expensive in general and make you a target. I wouldn't think most people where you're severing would be able to tell the difference between a $600 and $5000 camera since they look pretty much the same to the everyday person. So would it matter all that much as long as everything was insured and you were smart with your camera? Anyone have experience with this?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Bringing my dslr?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:20:28 AM »
It all depends on where you are sent. In Bulgaria (the program finished there, but I am sure other programs are similar) it would not have been a problem- your host organization would welcome the high quality pictures to use on their websites etc. and you might find yourself teaching photography to kids in your spare time. However, I had a friend who served in... I believe it was Fiji... and her community was very communal. You went into a house with one pair of shoes and often came out with a different pair because people put on whatever was at the front door... she had issues with her tablet because people didn't understand why they couldn't just use it all of the time, without asking.Technology was just a communal thing. So, besides getting it insured against theft, think about how much you are willing to let other people handle it and how you will deal with situations when people don't understand why you wouldn't let them borrow it. Of course, it depends on where you go.

Offline Naledi

• Posting Member
    • Stephanie Joins the Peace Corps
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 12:39:41 AM »
There are so many factors to consider. But I say, if it will make you happy, bring it. Someone people have very nice cameras here in Botswana. It's just like anywhere else, you have to be smart with anything of value, but I look at it as no different than living in a city or somewhere else. You set rules with people and your stuff, or your house. I don't really take visitors at my house, only a few friends i have. So, no one really knows what I have here. Some people were concerned about using something like a kindle on a bus, just because it's an electronic. But, I would use my kindle on a bus in the states, and still just watch my surroundings and not leave it unattended. You are  a little bit of a target being a foreigner, and people will assume you are rich because you are American, but mitigate and you should be fine.  Get it insured and upload the photos to your computer or hard drive frequently so that if something does happen to it, at least you don't lose the photos. The camera could always be replaced.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »
To repeat what others have said here and there.
It depends on what country you are in? e.g. in Guatemala no way.
It depends on how you plan to use it? For high professional portfolio creation yes.
If you feel it fits with P.C. life with people who may be aware of various status symbols, fine?
Like other tools, if cheaper camera's can't satisfy, and you can afford it. Yes.
Steve

Offline Philip Deutschle

• Posting Member
    • Searching for Nepal
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 11:38:09 AM »
Over the years, I've had lots of different cameras.  I do have Canon 5D, which is great for HD video, but the key thing is no camera is any good unless you have it with you.  So, lugging a big camera around all the time,  means that you're acting as much as a photographer as a PC volunteer.  I find that when I pull the camera out, it puts in a role as an observer, not a participant.  In some ways, it makes you a photojournalist at best, and a tourist at worst.  I was backpacking recently, when a striking sky formation occurred.  None of us had cameras, and we realized how relaxing it was that we weren't  trying to document everything.  So, bring two cameras--the big one for full-scale photographics, and a tiny one for quickies.  Oh, you can have a look at clips from my PC Nepal documentary at http://kck.st/1iEuth2

I will try sending this to your email as well.

Philip Deutschle