What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Outfitting Advice?  (Read 1946 times)

Offline PCThumbs

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Outfitting Advice?
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:03:37 AM »
I'll be serving in Liberia later this year.

Does anyone have any advice on must-have items to bring. Recommendations (or mistakes-made) regarding: cameras. laptops. culinary equipment. hygiene. boots. pants. backpacks. Solar battery chargers.

Things you wished you had brought but didn't think of?

Specific brands would be nice, but general advice will be very helpful.
I have some backpacking experience, but not for 2 years without day-to-day western items.

Thank you much!

Offline SmithNB21

• Posting Member
Re: Outfitting Advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 12:16:02 PM »
check out promotive's website. They handle the Pro Deals for various outfitters. You upload your PC acceptance letter and you can get really good deals on stuff. Other various companies offer their own Pro Deals (Chacos, Exofficio, Keen), but this site allows for a simple and organized way to look at a bunch of different stuff. FYI.

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
I can give a few tips:

For solar panels and the like, check out Goal Zero (http://www.goalzero.com/). Their products aren't cheap, but they ARE worth it. I used of the Sherpa rigs every day for over a year without fail. You can definitely find cheaper solar gear, but it will be just that; cheap.

Electronics-wise, bring a laptop. It doesn't really matter what kind, just so long as it has USB ports and can access the internet via WIFI. Peace Corps says they don't require you to have one, but you will find you need one. ALSO, do bring a few flash drives and an external harddrive. If you feel really proactive, you might want to look up on the internets how to rip your and your friends' DVD collections to your new external HDD. You're new friends will love you.

Also, as far as getting gear goes, do look at The Clymb (you'll need a member invite ---> http://vnlink.co/SHoWlBC ). The gear they have is all discounted and varies by day, although a lot of it is last year's styles. I saved a bunch of money using the Clymb.

SmithNB21 is right about pro deals. There are tons of companies that do deals of PCVs, and even if you don't know if a company does, just contact them and ask. Many of them will be open to the idea, and the worst they could do is say no...
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline PCThumbs

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:22:06 PM »
Awesome, great advice, thank you much!

Offline PCThumbs

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 07:18:30 PM »
As far as your advice on a solar charger, did you have one that charges AA/AAA's or one that has an inverter for 110 volt devices?

Thanks again!