What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Gardening while serving  (Read 1224 times)

Offline richard88

• Regular-NoSig
  • Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
Gardening while serving
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:03:49 AM »
I love gardening and am considering trying to grow some veggies while serving. I figured it'd be a good way to relieve some stress, save some money, and maybe get to teach some of the kids. But I'm not sure how well it would go or if I'd even have the space to do it.

Has anyone tried growing their own food while abroad? If so, how did it go? Was there anything you wish you would've brought from the states? Where did you get seeds? Tell me all about it!

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Gardening while serving
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Gardening is definitely possible while serving, at least in Eastern Europe. In Bulgaria (closed now) most of the people in villages supplement their food with gardens. I was not big into gardening before becoming a volunteer but I learned so much about it while I was serving. A lot of volunteers spent time helping people in their gardens, or caring for their animals in order to get to know people and build relationships. My house had a very large garden in the back yard. It might be a bit difficult depending on when you arrive to get a garden started the first year, but by the second summer you should be able to.

Of course, I assume this is different for different countries. But yeah, for me the locals were definitely gardening experts.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Gardening while serving
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 08:59:47 AM »
Did some rooftop container gardening and it was a stress relieving low risk (cheap) learning experience. Not only did it bring me in contact with the locals when buying the seeds (sold only I discovered) at a small contractor electrical supply store/shop), but also made me more aware of the soils and social and economic climate. The rewards (crops) did not matter in terms of $ or supply and it could be linked with other officially approved "green" projects. The two downsides were:
1. To maintain, (water it) when gone from the village for more than a few days I needed some help from my neighbors.
2. This sort of work was defined culturally as "women's" work (infra dignitate).
Steve