What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Share your rejection/reapplication stories!  (Read 4622 times)

Offline richard88

• Regular-NoSig
  • Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
Share your rejection/reapplication stories!
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:02:26 PM »
I've recently sent in my application, and now I'm just waiting to hear back from a PC representative. I'm fully convinced that I won't get an interview, because I always expect the worst. If they tell me I'm not competitive enough, then I will go out and do more volunteer work until they nominate me. Has this happened to anybody? I'd like to hear some stories!

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Share your rejection/reapplication stories!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »
I appled 4 years ago and was rejected due to my education level at the time. I did life backwards and started working directly out of high school and did not go straight to college. Then I went on and did an AmericCorps program and had some experience tutoring and in the education field. I finally got an associates degree and thought the combination of my work experience, associates degree, volunteer experience, and AmeriCorps experience would have been enough. It was not. I got the rejection letter, and immediately called to talk to the representative that was listed in the information. We talked and he said I looked like a great candidate on all other fronts, but they really wanted me to have a Bachelors.

Here we are almost four years later to the exact date I submitted my original application and I now have the Bachelors and a little more experience plus a TEFL certification. I'm waiting to hear back from my references to know they are OK with me using them (I'm sure they are, but it is a curtosey thing I suppose) and I am about to submit my application again.

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:17:52 AM »
I turned down an invitation (did not like placement country as I had already lived there). Reapplied two years later. I got in.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »
I also turned down an invitation in 2008, reapplied in 2013 and was invited.  Then, about four weeks before staging I was pulled from the group for medical clearance (wasn't able to get a test done that PC wanted in time - even though doctors didn't think it was completely necessary).  Since it was at the beginning of the transition to the new system, I was told to reapply rather than be put on medical hold, and now I am once again under consideration.

No major issues with any of it, other than I had to write a statement to explain why I withdrew in 2008.

Also, keep in mind there are no nominations anymore; when you select a country during the application you are (hopefully) put under consideration for it and will interview with that specific country placement officer, rather than a recruiter who then nominates you.  I know you read a lot about nominations on the boards, but that is leftover from the old system.

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17