What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Learning a language before invitation  (Read 2311 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Learning a language before invitation
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:58:01 AM »
I received my nomination for Ecuador, leaving in January 2015 (as for right now). Right after I got it, I got another email saying that I should be brushing up on my Spanish. I was told about this great website, DuoLingo, by a friend and that's been helping me to go over vocab, conjugating verbs, and all that good stuff.

So, my question is- is that enough? Should I sign up for a class at a community college or get a tutor. The email did say that I had to somehow prove my work or results. Thanks for any input!

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Learning a language before invitation
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:01:50 AM »
If there is a community college nearby that has a conversational Spanish class that might be a good idea. At least talk with local instructors (and Peace Corps that has language learning online) as they know the internet sources of free Spanish instruction beyond "Google Translate" that may be helpful.There are a number of general tips such as watching Spanish language movies, television, music videos, that are fun and short of hiring a tutor. Since you have plenty of time you might also ask the instructors about getting more feedback on your skill level in the language/cultural complex?
Steve

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:50 AM »
The best bet is probably to get in touch with your in-country staff and see what they recommend.  We had a similar issue - got an email recommending a course, but all of the current volunteers said it wasn't really necessary.

We sent a bunch of emails to the training officer in-country asking about it and they actually ended up arranging (and paying for) a course for us to take online here before we head to staging.

If you can't get in touch with the training manager in country, I'd suggest emailing your country desk officer at PC HQ, who can forward that question on.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline RetiredFed

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:42:24 PM »
you can watch this soap opera which is made for people learning spanish.
http://www.learner.org/series/destinos/watch/index.html?ep12
if you want the script, so you can read along, let me know

Offline Chelsea

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 03:10:28 AM »
Thanks so much guys! I'll definitely check out the soap opera link and some other things like that. I'd be greatly appreciative if you'd send me the script for it, that'd be really helpful. Thanks again everyone