What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Running alternatives/physical activity during service?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Beekaycee

• Posting Member
    • Wish I Had More Common Senses
  • PC Status: Applicant
So I just accepted my Invitation to Jordan in October. I've spent time in the Middle East before and wasn't expecting to be able to run outdoors, but if I had any doubts the Country Description made it pretty clear that few volunteers in Jordan feel comfortable running. I am not extremely athletic but I do know that running a couple miles a day really helps me mentally. Any runners/athletes out there experience a similar situation? Chances are I'll be living on my own so I will have an indoor space (aka bedroom) for athletic use, but I'd love to hear any routines/solutions you came up with! I should mention that I am female, which is another reason I don't think I'll be among the few volunteers who go running in Jordan.
Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Running alternatives/physical activity during service?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
Some volunteers in my group had success with p90x. I was able to run outside in Bulgaria, but for the winter (which I wasn't used to) I had an adult sized hula hoop and downloaded belly dance and yoga videos.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
You will probably be told by Sultan and the staff (personal security concerns being uppermost in their minds) not to run. As part of your in country training this will be explained to you in some detail with relevant historical case studies.There may be exceptional way at some sites under unusual (generally patriachal) circumstances where you might be able to minimize the risk after a few months but that is a long shot. So for example after you become skilled at having stones thrown at you by youths and responding to what you may view as harrassment perhaps you will be able to run during an all womens' soccer game where no males are present in a larger city with a privacy fence, wearing modest clothing. The Peace Corps volunteers do take part in marathons in Jordan and officially encourage womens sports and exercise.Most women in Jordan exercise "on the street" by walking in groups or with family members and know culturally appropriate responses to various difficulties. Most do not run or exercise after they are married at the latest especially in public.The easiest solution is indoor (courtyards may be OK too) work-outs, youth development center girls' activity,and womens' dance (this is probably the most fun and interesting especially at weddings).
Steve

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:25:49 AM »
Seconded on the p90x. While I was able to run as a PCV in Rwanda, P90X was clutch on the days I didn't want to face the masses of people following me.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline canongirl87

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 02:01:13 AM »
Going to be meeting up with you in Jordan! I am bringing over some Yoga videos and a few other workout videos myself, hoping I can find someway to run indoors though because I'm with you on running! One of the current volunteers said that she purchased a treadmill.