Author Topic: Peace Corp RESPONSE, Anyone?  (Read 9250 times)

Offline Ediakaran

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
Peace Corp RESPONSE, Anyone?
« on: May 23, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
I would love to get feedback from Peace Corps-RESPONSE returned Volunteers. Iíve been checking their website for years but the only thing that I see are the opening opportunities but no stories about what Peace Corp Response Volunteers are doing and actual experiences. Iíve considered this option for a while even though Iíve never been in the Peace Corps; the only thing that is stopping me of venturing into this is that upon return from the assignment the volunteers are not eligible for non-competitive eligibility (NCE) and since I currently have a federal job it would be difficult to quit and just try to get back without the non-competitive privilege. I have more than 10 years of professional experience in science including teaching and Iíve done long term volunteering abroad which based on what Iíve seen in their openings, are highly desirable characteristics for future applicants. Anyways, if anyone would like to share their experiences as a Returned Peace Corp Response Volunteer, Please share!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Peace Corp RESPONSE, Anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 03:08:18 PM »
One option, although it can be difficult to get approved, is to apply for an extended Leave Without Pay for the period you are serving.  If you can manage to get that approved, the agency you work for is required to hold a position for you at the same grade in the same locality.  It does have some impact on benefits, but those are usually mitigated by the fact that Peace Corps provides you with many benefits anyway.

Jeff.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 08:15:08 AM »
Some people might recognize this program by its name BEFORE it was Peace Corps Response. Several years ago, this program was known as CRISIS CORPS.

Offline Tom-AZ

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:12:55 PM »
I know a couple that are or have been in Moldova.

The one that is currently there now is helping an NGO in the capital develop an adolescent health program. Which is what she does back in the U.S.

You gotta realize that the post writes and chooses the PCR.

So while they didn't write it for her ( she had a different country director and whole American team ) , the combo of her being a RPCV that left 2 years ago with the language skills and the practical skills makes former RPCVs from the country in question almost the only choices.

There was another PCR person there when I was there but she was a legitimate Russian teacher and was sent off to the hinter lands as the request came from the Embassy for a PCR that could teach high level Russian-English.  She was a PCV from the 80s.  I know, she went through a 3 week PST instead of the full, mostly just to learn some Romanian ( Moldova has 2 languages, Russian and Romanian ) and catch her up on PC policies that may have changed and cultural immersion, but otherwise, 3 weeks, was sent out to the field.  Otherwise, she was a normal volunteer who came to our events and participated in normal in country activities - though I don't think PCR go to COS conference.

There was another PCR person but I didnt know her as well, so can't say much about her experience.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:30:25 AM »
I knew a PCR volunteer in Bulgaria. She showed up and was sent immediately to her site with a Bulgarian dictionary- her host organization had plenty of people working in English. Absolutely no training. So, no, you do not always have to know the langauge/culture/situation if you fit what they are looking for, and you certainly do not have to be an rpcv from that specific country. We were consistanly getting emails that a new PCR volunteer had joined or left, and many of them I never even met because they did their own thing. (In response to the post above).

I wish I could give some advice about NCE, but Jeff seems to have that covered. I think PCR is an awesome program. Good luck.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »
Another thing about federal eligibility - assuming you are in the competitive service at the moment, remember that you maintain reinstatment rights for three years, or for life if you have been onboard with the government for three or more years.

While not as good as getting a LWOP approved (due to you still having to apply for a position), it does mean you can apply for any position at your current grade or lower as if you were still a federal employee, and not as a public applicant.  Higher grade as well if you already held your current grade for 52 weeks (basically, you are considered a merit promotion applicant, not a public one).
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

H Zane Askins

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 05:44:04 PM »
My original service was in the Fiji Islands 2006-08 as a Health Volunteer. I went on to serve as a Response Volunteer in Liberia, West Africa 2010, Bulgaria 2011-12, & Philippines 2012. I worked on various health projects & was able to enjoy lots of travel. The training usually consisted of a week to 10 days of orientation & then transport to site. All the perks enjoyed by PCV's also apply to PCRV's, except for non competitive eligibility like was mentioned previously. I recommend that you continue to monitor the jobs list & apply for whatever you feel qualified for & the Response team will do the rest. Hope this helps & if I can help answer anything else about PCR, just drop me an email @ zaneaskins@gmail.com...

GigiZ

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:09:40 AM »
I am a current Peace Corps response volunteer in Zambia and I have to say the experience has been great. I was recruited for this position, which is with JSI. Not only have I learned so much about monitoring and evaluation (with the opportunity to apply for a job with them), it has also been enjoyable. I encourage anyone who has the chance, to at least try it. It is volunteer after all, so if things are not to your liking, you can always leave (not that I encourage that). I have been very fortunate in that I get along well with my office mates and am well liked, with the feelings being mutual. My contract was supposed to end on the 16 of May 2014, but JSI themselves extended it to March 2015. Please let me know if you have specific questions about response and I will try to answer them.

Sann

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:14:56 AM »
I retired from 35+ years of teaching and realized that I needed to do SOMETHING.  I'd been a PCV from 1970-72 and remembered seeing info about the PC Response program.  I applied and spent nine months working with the Special Needs department in Guyana a and was assigned to work with a special needs school to develop a reading program for dylexic adolescents.  I also ran inservice meetings and acted as a consultant to other special schools and worked to develop policy.  I loved it.  I would go again but my absence was difficult for my family.  I am using my experience to work within my own community.

Offline Ediakaran

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
Thanks so much for the information, this is really helpful. I updated and uploaded my resume into their database...perhaps in the future I may have an opportunity. :)

dhr

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »
I applied to a position with Peace Corps Response a few weeks ago. Question for current PCRVs, how long did it take for you to hear back about getting an interview? 

Offline wsalazar

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Currently serving as Peace Corps Response - your experience?
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 08:00:06 PM »
I am currently serving as a Peace Corps Response, "Teacher Trainer" in Panama. While I am a "city volunteer" living in the city does present it's challenges. I am lucky or as they say around here, "I have won the lottery". I am a native speaker of Spanish, so adjusting linguistically has been a challenge: the speech mannerisms and accents - but that has been one of the fun parts of adjusting to Panama. I can appreciate my "maturity" and my knowledge base this time around, more than when I served as a twenty-year-old. I am more confident as I know more, and I am more mature - so set backs, or frustrations I can (for the most part) shrug-off. So far it is a positive experience.
How about for the rest of you, how is it going?

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 10:05:32 PM »
Applied for Peace Response got UC same or next day..contacted PO after about week and was told the two countries I applied for already had invites sent out to other people..but told me if I applied for this other position would get a interview. Had interview 2 days later. Waiting for possible invite. (it seems only one other person applied which surprised me) Got 50/50 chance

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 10:08:10 PM »
would appear peace corp response...responds much faster than reg peace corp. Still UC for Macedonia after 24 days..expected some action after close of applications.

Offline mrbearhug

• Forum Champion
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 04:46:46 PM »
Anyone else been invited (2016-17) Peace Corp Response project?