What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Loading shows onto laptop  (Read 4835 times)

Offline SmithNB21

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Loading shows onto laptop
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
Tips for how to load DVDs onto laptop or external hard drive?
I know I could buy off iTunes and have the files, but wonder who has experience ripping DVDs into a digital file.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Loading shows onto laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
This is probably not the most economical or cheap way of doing it, but I use a program called DVD Cloner 2014 to rip the files from the discs into .iso format.  You can then use a program like VLC Player to watch them on a mac or PC.

With DVD Cloner you can either rip the whole disc on a 1:1 basis, or just rip the main movie to save space.  The files still come out pretty large, though - about 4gb for a movie-only, and about 7-8gb for a whole disc.  Personally I only rip the whole disk for TV show discs or multi-movie discs, otherwise I just do the movie only.

I have a 2TB Western Digital My Passport Ultra I'm saving them on ($100 on Amazon right now), so I have plenty of space even with the large file size.  Depending on how the drive you save them on is formatted, you may have to reformat it into a different file system as some of the older ones have a 4gb file size limit (I reformat all of my drives as exFAT, which lets you save any size file, and read AND write on both Macs and PCs).
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:14:10 PM »
If you search the internet for "DVD to AVI" you will find many programs that will rip the dvd to avi, mp4 or other formats.  These formats take a lot less space.  I bought one a few years ago for around $20 and it worked great.

It is a great idea to bring media with you.  TV Shows and Movies are nice to watch in your downtime and your fellow PCVs will enjoy swapping with you.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:21:48 AM »
@SmithNB21, I would HIGHLY suggest a program called Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/. its super simple to use (although it does look intimidating and also does have many advanced features) and can rip a full length DVD feature film (2 hrs) down to about 700MB (into various formats like .avi, .mp4, or .mkv). @Jeff's idea with the .iso files will work, but the .iso will be the same size as the full capacity of the DVD, or about 7.5GB. VLC (another MUST HAVE program) will play both of these methods. Note that using handbrake is 100% legal.

Either way, you will run into a problem with DVD encryption. DVDs you buy commercially (with the content on them, not blank ones) will be encrypted to protect their copyright. You'll need a program like DVD43 http://www.dvd43.com/ to bypass this. Simply install DVD43 (or a similar program) and it will run in the background (passively). When you stick a DVD into your computer, it will automatically attempt to break the encryption and give you access to the raw video and audio files (which you will use Handbrake to access). Note that, while DVD43 is not black and white illegal, using it to bypass copyright encryption (like this) is pretty squarely against the law in the States. If you bought the DVDs, you own them and a copy of their content, and are technically allowed to digitize them SO LONG as you do not distribute said copies (under the same law that allows you to copy your CDs into iTunes).

As always, feel free to ask more questions or message me. I can pretty much walk you through the process, although its been a few years since I've done it.

EDIT: This method is also completely free.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
As a follow-up, Handbrake is a great program, and I highly second Shawn's suggestion.

I'm somewhat of a quality-snob, and a bit lazy, which is why I went with DVD Cloner - it'll let you rip the movie only so the DVD size will only be 3gb-4gb instead of 7gb, and it auto removes the copy protection as it rips, so no need for a second program.

If you have less space available, I would definitely go with Shawn's advice.

Jeff.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline SmithNB21

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 10:06:14 AM »
As a follow-up, Handbrake is a great program, and I highly second Shawn's suggestion.

I'm somewhat of a quality-snob, and a bit lazy, which is why I went with DVD Cloner - it'll let you rip the movie only so the DVD size will only be 3gb-4gb instead of 7gb, and it auto removes the copy protection as it rips, so no need for a second program.

If you have less space available, I would definitely go with Shawn's advice.

Jeff.

thanks everyone. I have been looking at DVD Cloner, and was glad to hear it worked well for you. It's only about $50, and I think I can definitely get my money worth out of that investment.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:05 PM »
I've had great success with DVD Cloner - there are a FEW times it had some hiccups, but less than 10% of the discs I've ripped.  In general I do movie only for just movies, and a 1:1 rip for TV dvds with multiple episodes.  Size is about 4gb for a movie only, and about 8gb for a full DVD9:DVD9 1:1 rip.

I would recommend opening the file after each rip to make sure it syncs up right in terms of audio track and picture; and also skip to the end of the file to make sure the credits are there...one way to tell if you have to re-rip with DVD Cloner is if the file ends prematurely.

Keep in mind too that most commercial usb drives and portable hard drives are formated in such a way that they can only have up to a 4gb file put on them.  Simple solution is to just reformat in a format that can use higher file sizes.  I have a macbook, and always reformat new drives/usb drives in exFAT, which will allow you to save the larger files and to read AND write on both PCs and Macs.  Depending on the size of your collection, I definitely recommend at least a 2tb drive (personal favorite is the WD My Passport Ultra).

Good luck!

P.S. - just realized I said all this before, but it's all good ;)
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17