What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Veteran Volunteer  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Corey D. McEachern

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Veteran Volunteer
« on: June 14, 2014, 03:15:50 PM »
Military Service and Peace Corps Service are both voluntary forms of American Public Service, with an extensive international component.  Would The Peace Corps benefit from their involvement?

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
Re: Veteran Volunteer
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 07:22:47 AM »
Based on data from other the volunteer efforts of other organizations my guess is that if the USA took the cream of the crop from this diverse demographic it would fill some current gaps in service? Many Peace Corps hosts in various countries have served in this function and are more comfortable with PCV's from this somewhat congruent background.
Steve

Offline marychina17

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Yes they would.  One of my classmates in Graduate school is an Rpcv and a military man.  He is one of the greatest people I know.

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 06:56:20 PM »
I'm a veteran of the armed forces AND a returned Peace Corps volunteer.  I felt that my service in the military helped me in my PC service.  It helped me be a lot more accepting of the bureaucratic stuff in the Peace Corps.  Also, I felt that I had a more realistic world view than many who had not ever served in the military.

Also, I thought it was nice to have my life bookended with those two contrary but complimentary experiences.

LittleJo

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
Absolutley!  Join join join!!!

Bill

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:42:02 PM »
Served in the Air Force (1960s) and the Peace Corps (1970s). Great adventures both.