What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: What were your biggest surprises about PC service?  (Read 2295 times)

Alexandra

What were your biggest surprises about PC service?
« on: June 21, 2014, 09:47:42 AM »
To Peace Corps Volunteers and RPCV's... 

What were the two things that you did not expect and surprised you most about Peace Corps Service

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: What were your biggest surprises about PC service?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
Honestly, I was not ready for the diversity among PCVs. It took me quite some time to find people in my group that I clicked with, and even at the end of the two years there were volunteers that irritated me because we held such vastly different values and ethics. There were huge religious and political differences as well, all of which I had rather avoided in the US by choosing where to live and who to keep company with. I suppose I thought my group would be a little more like me, but the majority of my group was definitely not.

I had imagined it would be most difficult to fit in with my host country, but I found that I had almost no problems blending and finding friends among the people at my site. On the other hand, the big happy peace corps family I had imagined among the pcvs just didn't exist for me.

Offline Tom-AZ

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

Readjusting was a lot weirder than I ever imagined.

How quickly two years went and happy I was that I did it

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:46:15 PM »
Agreed with Tom - that readjustment back to the States was actually harder in many ways than adjusting to my PC country....

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 10:58:30 PM »
Honestly, I was not ready for the diversity among PCVs. It took me quite some time to find people in my group that I clicked with, and even at the end of the two years there were volunteers that irritated me because we held such vastly different values and ethics. There were huge religious and political differences as well, all of which I had rather avoided in the US by choosing where to live and who to keep company with. I suppose I thought my group would be a little more like me, but the majority of my group was definitely not.

I had imagined it would be most difficult to fit in with my host country, but I found that I had almost no problems blending and finding friends among the people at my site. On the other hand, the big happy peace corps family I had imagined among the pcvs just didn't exist for me.

OMG--me too! I only had 3 close friends of the 141 of us in country. My site mate was such a brown noser.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur