What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Older applicant. Medical issues  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Kbginak

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Older applicant. Medical issues
« on: July 11, 2014, 08:36:21 PM »
I have been reading a lot about the hassles of getting medically cleared for PCS. Luckily, I am starting this process very early ( I don't plan to serve for a few years yet).  But, I am an older person (52) and have had my share of medical crap over the years. I am perfectly healthy, physically fit,
and ready to serve but am concerned that my history will come back to bite me. How far back do they look at your medical history?  If I was treated for depression on the 90s will it be relevant?  Knee surgery in 2004?  Any advice- especially from older volunteers would be great!  Thx!

Offline ncdesertprincess

• Posting Member
Re: Older applicant. Medical issues
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
I have been reading a lot about the hassles of getting medically cleared for PCS. Luckily, I am starting this process very early ( I don't plan to serve for a few years yet).  But, I am an older person (52) and have had my share of medical crap over the years. I am perfectly healthy, physically fit,
and ready to serve but am concerned that my history will come back to bite me. How far back do they look at your medical history?  If I was treated for depression on the 90s will it be relevant?  Knee surgery in 2004?  Any advice- especially from older volunteers would be great!  Thx!

I was nominated for March 2015. I'm a young 54.6 who experienced Cancer 3 years ago and wear a hearing aid (birth defect) and have gone through medical pre-clearance. It's a lot of forms: but it's doable. Matter of fact, I finished mine within a 2 week timeframe and beat their deadline. However, they are in the midst of getting everyone through for the remainder of year.  So, I'm waiting to hear back on my case. I hope that helps.

***UPDATE***  I was medically denied on Friday of last week. After my gut wrenching and heart breaking moment was over, I viewed it again and found that they are not reading everything that was submitted. Therefore, I have decided to appeal their decision. I have contacted a previous doctor and she is taking the ball and running with it. She is going to contact my oncologist and between the two of them, I think I will get what the Medical Office is looking for (I hope). I had an interview with PC Mexico on Wednesday of this week and should hear if would like to extend an invitation by Sept. 15th. Please wish me luck in my appeal and serving in Mexico... Thank you for your good thoughts...

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 03:51:35 PM »
The Peace Corps does a complete medical history mostly for "current" conditions,medications, or recurring issues. This may be used for the general application process or the specific country-location assignment. In this case you will have to revisit old medical issues such as depression to get medical clearance. The dental is equally complete. I would not be concerned about the knee.
Steve

Offline RetiredFed

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:16:23 AM »
I'm 61, had a heart attack 10 years ago and I got in.  Going to Peru soon.  I think that none of the test results can be more than 6 months old.  That might be a problem by starting so early.

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:15:45 AM »
Something to note is that the application process changed this month. All "pre-clearance" has pretty much been moved to after invitation, including all medical tasks and paperwork.

In the present system, once you submit your application, you will receive an automatic reply requesting that you complete a Health History Form (HHF). Be totally honest on this form, as it will tell you which countries to which you are "pre-cleared" for invitation. After you submit the HHF, you'll fill out a country choice form based on your pre-approved list. If you're invited, you'll then have to undergo final medical clearance, which will be quite a bit of paperwork due to your longer history. But this is also why it's important to be totally honest on the HHF. If you don't disclose something, you could get invited to a country for which you will not receive final medical clearance (and thus you won't go and all that paperwork will have been a waste).

All I've ever heard from the Medical Office is that there is no such thing as an instantly "disqualifying" medical condition. Everyone's health is evaluated on a case-by-case basis, and assessed in comparison to what each country has available in medical resources. The new website (where you can search through the particular countries/programs that are currently accepting applications) includes information about each country's medical support services and a list of which conditions could probably not be supported in those countries (i.e. Country X requires all trainees and volunteers to receive a yellow fever vaccination, so you may not be able to serve in Country X if you have an egg allergy).

Offline Kbginak

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 12:43:41 AM »
Thanks very much. I have read through all of the new information and feel much better about the process!

Offline AmandaJeanus

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:23 PM »
I recently had a hard time getting my pre-medical clearance as well. They ultimately wanted all sorts of tests and evaluations done which I denied stating that I thought it was unnecessary and unreasonable.  I did however offer up a bargaining chip and said that in place of the tests, If I could get full medical clearance from my regular physician stating that the health issues in questions do not impede on my daily life. The nurse agreed to this and I had my Doctor give me a medical addendum stating that I had no health risks and she does not recommend any tests or treatments for my conditions. This happened to work for me and I was finally pre-medically cleared last week. I don't know if this helps, but I just wanted to put it out there that your own physician can help you if you feel you have no medical conditions that will effect your ability to serve.   

I hope that helps.

Offline Kbginak

• Posting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:02:54 PM »
Thanks so much!  I just saw your post and loved that you negotiated!  And won!  I plan to do the same!  I will serve!  I will!  Thanks!

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 04:07:27 AM »
They only can look at what you submit. They are too busy to go on full investigations...
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur