What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Does anyone regret joining the Peace Corps  (Read 3611 times)

Warner

Does anyone regret joining the Peace Corps
« on: July 14, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »
this is for RPCV's out there...   I have heard so many positive things.  In the interest of full disclosure I want to know if anyone regrets joining the Peace Corps?  And why?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Does anyone regret joining the Peace Corps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 08:27:48 AM »
I am guessing that most of the people on this forum have had positive overall experience. I know I would not hang out in a forum dedicated to a life-choice I regretted.

There were definitely days while I was serving that I thought I had made the wrong decision. Perhaps I should have pursued my career instead. But, 3 years later and still living in my host country I am going to say it was a great decision.

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
this is for RPCV's out there...   I have heard so many positive things.  In the interest of full disclosure I want to know if anyone regrets joining the Peace Corps?  And why?

I think it is a very good question. I always wondered why no one seems to want to discuss the negatives of Peace Corps. Nothing in life is all rainbows and sunshine--marriage, parentage, college... The good tends to outweigh the bad.

But,overall with Peace Corps, in seems that if one says anything bad--it is looked at as un-American.

For me, Peace Corps was a great thing to get me to where I wanted to be career-wise. The bad was is the boredom, the cliquishness, the fact that we are in some countries where we really do not need to be as the countries can afford to PAY for services rather than using taxpayer dollars.

But overall, I only wish I had done it right after college rather than at 40+. I think then I would have gotten the experience that I wanted.

"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

LittleJo

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:21:37 PM »
Never! I loved it so much I am going for a second tour!