What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Major changes to application process announced  (Read 1674 times)

Offline the boss

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Major changes to application process announced
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
Supposedly the new application process will be much improved. The new director says: "Our former process was long and bureaucratic and cumbersome...We feel that today’s applicants have career goals and have professional goals and they have strong opinions about where they want to serve. . . . We want to honor that as best we can.”

So I understand the new process will take about 6 months instead of over a year.  Also, applicants will be able to choose where they go !

Do you think it will really turn out that way?  I hope so, but I will believe it when I see it.

Have any of the applicants out there seen these changes in effect yet? 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/peace-corps-announces-major-changes-to-application-process/2014/07/14/f1cff488-0931-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html?wprss=rss_national

Offline ncdesertprincess

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Major changes to application process announced
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 06:13:30 PM »
I applied in March of this year, had an interview in May and was nominated in June for CED / Mexico / March 2015. Due to past health issues, I had to go through medical pre-clearance, which I turned in my forms 4 weeks ago and I am now awaiting 'Pre Medical Clearance'. They emailed me to let me know they are backup with getting this years medical clearance completed. Anyway, it is my hope that I will receive an invitation for exactly what I was nominated for. Time will tell...

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
The new application went live on July 1. The updates to the website (where you can search through current openings accepting applications) went live July 15. They are transitioning from the old process to the new one. If you've applied for a program departing next April, May, or June, you'll know whether or not you have an invitation by January 15 (if not sooner). You generally can't apply more than 12 months in advance for a program, as they don't know what the volunteer requests are until approximately 12 months in advance of the staging.

In the new process, there are no more pre-clearances. All medical tasks and submitting your fingerprints for the legal background check will be done after invitation. But that does mean people will have to be on top of getting their stuff completed and submitted as failure to do so will prevent you from departing.

If you're still hoping for a January/February/March assignment, the 4 month minimum rule is still in effect. In other words, January programs will receive invites no later than some time in September, February in October, and March in November.

I think the ideal of the new process is that people will largely wait only 6 months to know if they're invited or not. It could still reasonably be a year from the day you apply to the day you depart. I think it will still be a good practice to apply earlier rather than later.

Offline ncdesertprincess

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
Thanks so much for all the valuable information!