What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Nomination Question  (Read 2539 times)

Offline AmandaJeanus

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Nomination Question
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:28:37 PM »
I applied for the Peace Corps in May, before the transition happened. I was nominated for Morocco scheduled to depart in January by the end of may. It took two months to finish my pre-medical clearance and I was finally up for review as of two weeks ago. I just received a letter today saying that I did not get Morocco, that it was already full and they asked me if they could put me back in the pool for other spots. I have never really heard of this. Usually when a spot is full they just put you into another job am I right. Is this normal? I wasn't rejected so that is a plus, but I am sort of baffled by this whole process. I am assuming this is how the new process goes and that it is normal. Has this happened to anyone else? I am just feeling unsettled.
Your stories are very welcome.
<3

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Nomination Question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:04:36 PM »
This sounds new to me also? If you do not get a quick response to the question here on this forum I would call the Peace Corps and ask them what going into the "pool" means. With the situation in French speaking (etc.) Africa kind of "fluid" and a bunch of countries apparently "full" or having near term departures you should be provided with more detailed information by PC staff. In the past it would be a sure thing to choose the pool, but things are changed?
Steve

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:35:16 AM »
This is for applicants who applied in the old system. I'm not sure if it will generally happen for applicants who applied in the new system. Basically, I think they're measuring your interest in Peace Corps...if you're not interested in a program that might not depart for a few months after January, then they wouldn't want to waste time find a spot for you that you would end up rejecting. The next thing they'll ask (if you're still interested) is to complete an Assignment Selection Form based on the list of countries for which you were medically pre-cleared.

Don't be unsettled. You're simply a qualified applicant they would be interested in placing, but only if you're still interested in leaving at a later time for a different country.

Offline AmandaJeanus

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »
Thank you for your responses. I did reply back and expressed detachment to a certain area of service and that I was open to new opportunities. Thank you, I feel a lot better!

fishman

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
Same thing happened to me. I was nominated for Vanuatu for next January. I then get an email saying that Vanuatu is full and that I am not going. I called the placement guy and he tells me the next possible placement for me is like a year from now. Very strange process. Really took the excitement of joining out of me and I am actually reconsidering. I would still like to go, but I can't sit and wait for years. I got a life to live ya know

LittleJo

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 04:03:21 PM »
The best thing for everyone here is to be flexible and go where they need you the most. If the country you were hoping for is full, tell them you are open to serving anywhere. You won't be disappointed, I promise!