What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Girlie Question: Maybe some advice or insight?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Uncolored

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Girlie Question: Maybe some advice or insight?
« on: October 03, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
Okay so I have not yet applied to PC. I am currently a junior in college and I will be applying within 2 years.
I have one medical concern that I would like girl advice or insight on. I have mildly painful menstrual cramps and I require a prescribed pill for them. Normally during the start of my cramps I usually like to use a heating pad in conjunction with my pills because it works better. The pills are fine by themselves but I am still uncomfortable if I don't use my heating pad. I am concerned that I will end up volunteering in a place where I wont have electricity to plug in my heating pad. What is the likelihood that I will not have electricity at my home while volunteering? Otherwise, if I don't have electricity, do you have any other advice?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Girlie Question: Maybe some advice or insight?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:49 AM »
If you might not have reliable electricity, then think about investing in one of these hot water bottles:

https://www.google.bg/search?q=hot+water+bottle&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PuEuVJi0HaLC7gbwuYCgDA&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1301&bih=659

You just fill it with hot water. We used them at the foot of our beds, to keep our feet warm, but you can wrap it in a towel to place it directly on the body. Of course, you might want to buy one while you are stateside and make sure it works for you.

Offline shawn g

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:14:11 PM »
There is also the option of investing in a solar panel with a 110V battery charger. The  charger is charged by the solar panel and you can plug stuff into the charger without the need of electricity. There may not be electricity at your country, but there are ways to work around it. Look into electricity alternatives.

Offline breezy03

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:48:58 AM »
Do you see an OBGYN? My best suggestion would be to see someone about your cramps. That's no way to live even if you AREN'T serving in the Peace Corps. I had the same problem when I was younger (but like 13, I'm now 22). My mom is a nurse and she took me to an OBGYN straight away because periods that painful are NOT normal.

I am now on Depo Provera. I don't have any periods at all which means no cramps. This isn't the best option for everyone (religious beliefs or personal beliefs may prevent you from going on BC). And some people don't like Depo because it causes weight gain and they believe it is "unnatural" not to have a period.

I'm leaving for Burkina Faso in January. No electricity. No running water. I can hands down tell you I am so happy I don't have to deal with menstrual cycles not only because of the cramps I would have but because it also means I don't have to worry about tampons, pads, and/or diva cups while I'm in service.

Offline Uncolored

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
Do you see an OBGYN? My best suggestion would be to see someone about your cramps. That's no way to live even if you AREN'T serving in the Peace Corps. I had the same problem when I was younger (but like 13, I'm now 22). My mom is a nurse and she took me to an OBGYN straight away because periods that painful are NOT normal.

I am now on Depo Provera. I don't have any periods at all which means no cramps. This isn't the best option for everyone (religious beliefs or personal beliefs may prevent you from going on BC). And some people don't like Depo because it causes weight gain and they believe it is "unnatural" not to have a period.

No I do not see an OBGYN, maybe I should. Thanks for your insight. Yea really, my cramps can be pretty severe, not going to lie. Especially if I do not do anything about them.
I wasn't even aware that there was a shot, I will definitely look into that too as an option. Thanks!

Offline Uncolored

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 09:34:03 PM »
If you might not have reliable electricity, then think about investing in one of these hot water bottles:

https://www.google.bg/search?q=hot+water+bottle&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PuEuVJi0HaLC7gbwuYCgDA&ved=0CCsQsAQ&biw=1301&bih=659

You just fill it with hot water. We used them at the foot of our beds, to keep our feet warm, but you can wrap it in a towel to place it directly on the body. Of course, you might want to buy one while you are stateside and make sure it works for you.

Thank you!

Offline Uncolored

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:34:29 PM »
There is also the option of investing in a solar panel with a 110V battery charger. The  charger is charged by the solar panel and you can plug stuff into the charger without the need of electricity. There may not be electricity at your country, but there are ways to work around it. Look into electricity alternatives.

Great to know! Thanks!

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 12:27:45 AM »
A question on the depo- does your post provide depo as a bc option, or are you able to continue it because it is needed for other medical reasons (the cramps)? At my post they ONLY offered the pill and the ring, and they stopped the ring about three months before I finished...

Offline breezy03

• Posting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 02:41:06 PM »
My post does offer the Depo. I'm really thankful for that! I'm heading to Burkina Faso. I'm not sure if I get to continue them because it's for other reasons other than actual BC. They didn't really ask me that I remember. I answered that I was taking Depo on my HHF (health history form). Then, once I finally got invited and started getting my medical stuff underway, I made it a point to ask my nurse and she said Burkina Faso supports it.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 02:43:18 PM »
That is so cool!