What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Qualifications for Community Economic Development?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline mk1615

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Qualifications for Community Economic Development?
« on: October 29, 2014, 11:01:46 AM »
I plan to apply next month for positions in the Community Economic Development sector. I have a masters degree in Accounting (CPA), 7 years work experience across External Audit, Consumer Insights, Finance & Marketing. I have volunteered as a financial literacy instructor for both children & adults and currently volunteer at an urban garden project doing construction & gardening projects. I do not have any documented language skills.

Trying to understand if I'll be considered a competitive applicant? If not, what else would I need?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

fishman

Re: Qualifications for Community Economic Development?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 02:54:15 PM »
I am currently applying to work in the Healthcare field, but I fix computers for a living. They wanted to put me into an IT field, but I was adamant about being in Healthcare. I was told that I need to gain experience in other fields like the Health sector. I am working on gaining that experience. Based on my experience, I think they place you based on your qualifications/career, so you kind of have to be assertive and tell them what you want to do. I'd speak with your placement officer. Again, this is just my experience as an applicant

Offline mk1615

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
Yes, in initial conversations I was told that my experience would be great for CED, but that I should gain English teaching experience or "Healthcare" experience so that I would be qualified for more roles. However, I want to do CED (Business Development/Advising), so I was a little confused by that response.

Also, I'm curious what you're doing to gain Healthcare experience without prior training? I was told "For Health, we would want to see that you gained 30 hours of volunteer experience working hands on with the patients at a hospital, clinic or hospice. We are unable to accept clerk or administrative work for these hours."

However, even in the major metro area where I live, I'm having trouble finding Health volunteer work that is not administrative or 'comfort care' (playing games, singing, doing art with patients) without any previous experience.

fishman

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 11:05:31 AM »
I am trying to get into the HIV education/awareness area. I live in LA, so I looked up HIV organizations and applied for volunteer work. I also have volunteered at a food-bank. They did not say anything specific. I was emailed a link that has an application to the healthcare field. I was just told that Once I fill out that application, it will be in my file and that they will consider me for Healthcare jobs. Hope that helps

Offline RPCVro

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
I plan to apply next month for positions in the Community Economic Development sector. I have a masters degree in Accounting (CPA), 7 years work experience across External Audit, Consumer Insights, Finance & Marketing. I have volunteered as a financial literacy instructor for both children & adults and currently volunteer at an urban garden project doing construction & gardening projects. I do not have any documented language skills.

Trying to understand if I'll be considered a competitive applicant? If not, what else would I need?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

Well, as there's actually only one specific "Business Advisor" position open for application right now (in Macedonia, a VERY popular pick among applicants), I recommend you look at that position in particular and what "desired" skills/experience they have listed.

"First and foremost you will need to build strong relationships (both working and personal) in order to be successful as a Community and Organizational Development Volunteer in Macedonia. Candidates with small business development and/or organizational development experiences are preferred. Peace Corps Macedonia also prefers Volunteers with knowledge of project & grant proposal development and fund raising. Good organizational skills and skills in planning are highly desirable. Enthusiasm and commitment to developing relationships with your counterparts will go a long way."

Financial literacy and urban gardening are nice. They would be cool secondary projects. But the primary "job" of this volunteer position is: "work as business advisors, business trainers, or business educators in municipal offices, NGOs, vocational education centers, regional development centers or occasionally in local universities. They may also help fledgling NGOs with little or no experience achieve stability."

So that's where I'd go get experience, honestly. Most other CED positions are with NGOs and doing capacity building work. It's also a really small field of volunteer positions with a LOT more applicants than there are openings.