What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Camera Recommendation Needed  (Read 3984 times)

Nicole

Camera Recommendation Needed
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
Does anyone have a recommendation for a camera to take on my service?  I want to be able to capture great shots to preserve the memories, on the other hand I don't want to take something so fancy and complicated that it would break under adverse conditions.  Any ideas?

Offline chebeler

• Posting Member
    • Charlie in Botswaba
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Camera Recommendation Needed
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:18:10 PM »
Tija Danzig is in Botswana on her third year and I think she had the best camera. It takes great pictures, but is handy to carry and seems to shoot in all lighting situations. You can reach her at tldanzig(at)gmail.com. I took my digital SLR - a Nikon - and it was great but heavy to carry.

Offline Stephanie Sales

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Camera Recommendation Needed
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:32:20 AM »
Any more suggestions?  Did anyone find out what Tija Danzig has?
Something - compact, decent zoom, point & shoot ok, durable (if only it had a view finder on top)
Stephanie
California

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
I don't know what camera Tina had, but I can recommend the Sony Cybershot.  I do not own one, but my son does.  He visited us in Africa a year ago, and I was absolutely amazed at the quality of the pictures that were captured by such a small, durable, easy to use camera.  He had done a lot of research on quality and durability and picked it.  Check that one out. 
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline TijaLeigh

• Posting Member
  • "be kind, be unique, make the impossible happen"
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
Hi everyone! I am Tija Danzig so I can tell you exactly what camera I have!  ;)  It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 with a Leica lense (which I understand makes all the difference). It looks just like this one: http://bit.ly/1ncwlxY  Charlie is right, though, it is a great little camera - durable, compact, and takes really excellent photos.

Offline poshcorps

• Posting Member
  • RPCV South Africa
    • Posh Corps
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
Consider a less expensive DSLR. During service, I brought a point-and-shoot as I was worried about theft. Unfortunately, it just didn't have the quality or options to take the kind of pictures that would have been valuable to have after service. I know it is easy to convince yourself that you could get by with a cheap camera because of theft and conditions, but the ability to do third-goal activities is sharply curtailed when you don't have decent pictures of your service.

Offline Steve S

• Leading Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
I took a Canon G9 that was more than adaquate. You can not go wrong with almost any durable compact camera in about the $100 range, a carrying case, and a good memory card. Bring your DSLR only if going to a place where it is "appropriate" and you are able to use the advanced features. A simple, smaller camera with good optical zoom is a nice piece of equipment to communicate visually, record events, and help with various presentations including 3'rd goal, etc. You also might like to think about a camera that you are comfortable handing to others such as young students to use?
Steve

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:27 AM »
I brought my point and shoot (a fuji finepix that worked great for the two years) but there were several times when I wish I had a dslr. I was replacing a volunteer who had been very into photography. She had become the official photographer for the organization I worked with--- my organization assumed all americans had great cameras and were disappointed that I didn't. Although I think my point'n'shoot worked fine for most of their festivals there were times when a better camera would have been nice. Also, at the end of my service I wrote a cookbook with my tutor (you can see it here: http://www.amazon.com/Bulgarian-Recipes-Holiday-Body-Soul/dp/1481162330/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397493528&sr=8-3&keywords=bulgarian+recipes to check out the quality of the photos.) Again, it was adequate but a dslr would have been more appropriate.

So yeah, you might end up using photography skills for reasons you don't consider before you leave. That being said I have a canon EOSM now, which is like a hybrid, and I could not be happier... I think that in the US it comes with a pancake lens which almost makes it a point and shoot, as well as the 35-55mm lens. It goes for around $350 I think.