Author Topic: Time Away From Community/ Whereabouts Policy  (Read 1508 times)

Offline BurkinaFasoVAC

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: PCV
Time Away From Community/ Whereabouts Policy
« on: December 03, 2014, 07:34:40 AM »
Hello fellow VAC representatives!
Just wanting to get an idea of what other countries have in regards to policies about leaving village.  For example, if you need an overnight trip to go to the bank or use the internet, how does that work? if you want to go see a friend in another village for a couple days how does that work? (vacation? do you need permission? etc).
Here in Burkina we are technically allowed to take 4 nights per month, "close to home", to take care of "personal business" like bank, food, internet, etc (the distance and the exact definition of personal business are not clearly defined) and recently our policy changed so that we have to ask our APCD for permission ANY time we leave village.  We have had a "whereabouts phone" since forever which we text our location to any time we leave, but asking permission before we go is new.  This feels a bit unreasonable, but maybe just because it's new?  That's why I wanted to find out what it's like in other countries.  Thanks so much for your input.

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Time Away From Community/ Whereabouts Policy
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
In Bulgaria it was pretty much like your old situation, except many MANY volunteers did not follow the rules- spent every weekend out of site, never texted the on-duty phone. We had to get preapproved when we were going to other sites for official business or to assist on a project so it wouldnt count against our personal or vacation days.

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Time Away From Community/ Whereabouts Policy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 03:24:58 AM »
I never wanted to leave my site or Province, so I did not investigate nor questioned the policy. I wanted to really get to know the Province and money was a factor. I had little extra money as I wanted to save to go home for the holidays.
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur