What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: "no longer under consideration" after nomination?  (Read 2830 times)

Offline patrick

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
"no longer under consideration" after nomination?
« on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:49 PM »
Hey everybody, first time poster but here's my timeline.
Applied in February (2014) and was nominated in April with a tentative departure for January 2015. After I was medically and legally pre-cleared, I was told in late September that the spot for my program in January was full but that I was going to be placed somewhere else between April and June.  A few more back and forth e-mails with my recruiter who asked some basic questions and assures me that I can not be rejected at this point and that they are still dealing with the new application process. BOOM. December 5, 2014: "We regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you an assignment at this time," with some more automated info about how I can reapply again. Is this totally unprecedented? Thoughts?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: "no longer under consideration" after nomination?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 10:49:47 AM »
First, I'm sorry you received that email.

It sounds like you, like me, got caught up in the transition's negative impacts.

While mine was medical in nature, under the old system, if you had an issue or were not overly competitive for your nomination country, they simply kept you on file until something came up that you matched.  You also could be considered for any country at any time in any program.

Nowadays, you are solely considered for the countries you selected - in the old system we didn't select any, you just got nominated.  So when I was going to miss my medical clearance, instead of being thrown back in the pool like I would have been just 2 months earlier (at the time), I was told I had to reapply and go through the process again.  (just to make it clear, I had applied under the old system, nominated, then had medical clearance issues AFTER they switched to the new system)

I'm guessing something similar is happening to you.  You were being considered for a specific slot that they already filled, or one for which they had more competitive candidates for that SPECIFIC position, and since they no longer have a general pool, you have to reapply rather than be considered for anything else, somewhere else, automatically like they used to do.

This is one of my frustrations with the new process, but I do have to say, at least the application was MUCH faster this time around.  I actually reused one of my essays from before, as it was still applicable, and am now under consideration again, waiting for interview (got the Under Consideration email yesterday).

I would definitely encourage you to apply again, and definitely select "go anywhere" if you are willing.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

LittleJo

Re: "no longer under consideration" after nomination?
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:13 PM »
OMG I had no idea this was happening under the new system! How horrible for you. I am going in for the second time...both under the old system. I can't believe that after all you had to do, they are telling you to apply again!  Sounds crazy if you ask me. Can you at least use the same paperwork?  If so, don't delay...this way all your medical stuff is still all up-to-date. And like the post before this one, check off that you will serve anywhere. Believe me, it's worth it. It's an incredible opportunity and I encourage you to re-apply. Let us know what you've decided!