What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Spam attacks  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • PC Status: RPCV
Spam attacks
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:43:21 AM »
Our forum has been attacked by spammers more than usual in the last 24 hours.  Since last night over three dozen spam accounts were created which is a lot for our little forum, and they keep coming.

Don't be alarmed, even if a spammer gets past the security questions to become a registered member, they do not have access to anyone's email address. 

If a spammer gets on the Forum, every now and then they will create a post which is always off topic, trying to sell something, or just plain gibberish. So if you see a goofy post, that is the reason. I am getting rid of these spammers and their posts as soon as I notice them.  If you ever see a post that should not be in our forum, click on the "Report to Moderator" button at the bottom of the post. 

During this attack I am changing the Forum so that all new registrants require Admin approval.  I am also tightening up what is permitted for non-registered users. This is an inconvenience to legitimate guest users of the Forum but necessary for the next few days.

If you are a registered member of this Forum you will not see any changes in your access.
...Administrator  (RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Spam attacks continue
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:40:29 PM »
The spammer attack is still very active, but the changes we made keep any from becoming registered members.  In the meantime we are adding to our "ban list" with each bogus attempt and so there we are making progress keeping them from even getting their foot in the door.

If anyone has any knowledge about Forum spam attacks, how to get off their radar and why they even want to spam us I would appreciate the information.
...Administrator  (RPCV, Botswana 2011-2013)

Offline ncdesertprincess

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Spam attacks
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 05:58:54 AM »
Thank you for all you do... The holiday season website is fabulous!