Author Topic: Peace Corps restrictions on blogging?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Ken

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Peace Corps restrictions on blogging?
« on: December 15, 2014, 05:09:53 PM »
I'm thinking of having a Peace Corps blog. What restrictions, if any, does the Peace Corps place on what you can write about?

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Peace Corps restrictions on blogging?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:37:52 AM »
You need to have a visible disclaimer stating that the opinions expressed on your blog are yours, and not official representation of the Peace Corps (they will give you the official wording of it, but you can rephrase it yourself, if you like.)

You also have to give the blog address to your in-country staff either at staging or when you arrive in-country. You can set the blog to private, and they will never see its contents (only people you approve will see it). Or you can set it to public. They may occasionally flip through it for issues.

I was once asked to remove a post about the problems I had procuring fire spinning fuel for my town festival. The country staff thought someone reading it might think I was a terrorist of some sort, if they did not understand fire spinning. I just set my blog to private until I left peace corps after that.

Offline akiramd12

• Posting Member
    • Let Chan Tell It
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 11:55:33 PM »
Do you know when your blog "officially" becomes a peace corps blog? I mean, when in the process does the disclaimer need to be posted?
Chantel
Science Education Invitee
Tanzania - July 2015

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 03:19:29 AM »
Your in country staff will probably ask you to add it during your training period. Before that, you don't NEED to, and after you are out you can take it off... however, it doesn't hurt to have it, because it is true. :)