What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: ET  (Read 3861 times)

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
  • "Don't try to fine tune someone else's view"-Bush
  • PC Status: RPCV
ET
« on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:41 PM »
If you HAD to ET for what reasons would you?

I am simply making conversation. I did not ET but I often had this thought pop up as to what would MAKE me choose to ET.

"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline koji

• Forum Hero
    • Transitions in the East
Re: ET
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 08:03:01 AM »
I didn't ET, but there were a few times I thought about it.

I very seriously considered not swearing in during training. I had a very conservative training group that I did not get along with that made me very stressed out, and I didn't want to be associated with that type of American. So, I thought it might be best for me to not join PC if the majority of volunteers were like them. Luckily, I made it through training and got to my site, where everything was so much better.

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 11:54:37 PM »
I HAD to ET it would be because:
1. major illness of myself (after the 45 days that one can be ill)
2. major illness of my adult child (and I would try to still make it through before ET'ing)
3. a really threatening situation at post
I wanted this too long to just ET due to boredom, lack of good food, or the weather.
But, I do not disparage those who did ET
"If it were not for the reporters, I'd tell you the truth"', President Chester A. Arthur

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:16:45 AM »
I've always felt that any PCV should be able to ET and not be worried about the ramifications, social or otherwise. The decision to join the Peace Corps, and to subsequently stay, is an incredibly personal one.

That said, I thought about ETing a few times, but my saving grace was deciding to never do it on a whim. it had to be a real, lasting feeling, not just boredom or a fleeting depression.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
I came very close to leaving about 6 months early.  I had done a lot the first year and was burnt out.  My wife was not ready to go and that kept me there.  I am really glad I stuck it out.  I started enjoying my service again before we left.

We did end up leaving about 6 weeks early because my wife's mother grew deathly ill. 

So to answer the question, I think any reason that is good enough for the Volunteer is valid.  It is totally their decision.  I never second guessed anyone.  In my case I almost went home because I was burnt out, an I did go home a a few weeks early because of illness in the family.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline PeaceCorps1

• Forum Champion
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:09:50 AM »
I came very close to leaving about 6 months early.  I had done a lot the first year and was burnt out.  My wife was not ready to go and that kept me there.  I am really glad I stuck it out.  I started enjoying my service again before we left.

We did end up leaving about 6 weeks early because my wife's mother grew deathly ill. 

So to answer the question, I think any reason that is good enough for the Volunteer is valid.  It is totally their decision.  I never second guessed anyone.  In my case I almost went home because I was burnt out, an I did go home a a few weeks early because of illness in the family.

Marion were you able to fully COS with no punishment with 6 more weeks to go? We were told that only 30 days max was allowed.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:28:02 AM »
Like most volunteers, the thought of ET'ing crossed my mind a few times, the most intensely during training one day.  Luckily our LCF (language/culture facilitator) realized I was not in a good mood, and made me take the day off to just relax, go to the city to check email, etc.  After that it was all good.

We actually did end up having a bunch of ETs throughout the next two years, but I don't think any one of them was for the same reason, and none of us thought any less of them for doing it.  Ironically, the knowledge that I COULD ET if I so chose was a big part of why I was able to not ET....

As for the 30 day thing - we were allowed to CoS up to 30 days early without special permission, and up to 90 days early with special permission (might have been 60 days??).

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

LittleJo

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 06:36:06 AM »
I agree that there is no bad reason to ET...I know a woman who left early because the PC was just not her cup of tea. She had no regrets and neither should anyone else.

Offline shawn

• Forum Champion
    • Pack.It.Up Adventures
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 06:38:11 AM »
I think Jeff's got it right. We were always told you can push or pull a COS date by 30 days no questions asked. But I was also told that the Country Director could grant RPCV/NCE/ official COS status on any Volunteer (provided they had served 1 year).

So Marion's CD did not have to let him COS, and could have made him ET.
PCVL - Rwanda 2010-2013
NPCA Serving Volunteer Advisory Council

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
As I said we left about 6 weeks early.  Our Country Director had authority to let us COS up to 30 days early, but no more. However, the Regional Director does has the authority to allow a COS date to be moved more than 30 days. Our CD contacted the Regional Director and explained the situation and our earlier COS date was allowed.

So we didn't actually ET, we had an official COS that was about 6 weeks early, with the permission of the Regional Director. 
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)