What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Anxiously waiting...  (Read 6457 times)

Offline ckim25

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
Anxiously waiting...
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:14:07 PM »
Hello there! A couple questions to those who are going through the new application process... hopefully your responses will ease my nerves, as I interviewed a couple weeks ago and am anxiously waiting for the next response! Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!
-What are the chances of rejection post-interview? I hate to be negative, but the waiting game since I interviewed is painful! I also understand the Peace Corps has become increasingly competitive.
-Do candidates in all programs get a follow-up interview, questionnaire, or assessment?
-Is work experience something the Peace Corps values just as much as volunteer experience? I am coming up on my third year of teaching full-time ESL at the high school level. In addition, I was a substitute teacher for two years prior, have had experience writing curriculum in my school district, taught adult ESL students, tutored and worked at a private elementary school years ago as well.
-Lastly, has anyone received an invite for the Secondary English Teaching project in Mozambique departing September 2015? I am crossing my fingers and hoping for an invitation soon...

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: Anxiously waiting...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:14 PM »
Hi
I'm not sure that there is a way to find exact numbers or statistics on the chances of getting rejected after an interview. Maybe someone else might know that information and can help. The chance is there, but I'm not sure how high the chance would be. But look at the positive, you got through to the interview! That is exciting in of itself as I have read some other rejection stories lately and they were not even able to interview.

Your work experience sounds amazing! I would imagine this will be looked upon highly. Volunteer work is important also of course, but you have been actively working in your field for a while now. I'm waiting to hear back about a TEFL position and I only have one year in the classroom and two years part time tutoring. My full time work experience is in landscaping. I told them about my landscaping work so I could demonstrate a range of knowledge and show my ability to, well....work I guess? lol! Ya know, showing up at a job on time, doing what is asked of you and so on and so forth. But I had to focus on my volunteer experience for the purpose of my actual position. So I think having a combination of both is probably a good thing however you seem very qualified!

When is the know by date for your program? I wouldn't get worried until then. I have seen some people leaving early and mid summer 2015 just getting invites recently so try to keep calm (I know, easier said than done!) because if you are planning on a possible September leave date you might have to wait just a bit longer.

Good luck though and I'm sure it will all work out while you could get rejected you sound quite qualified and there is no sense in worrying about that yet (at least I personally don't think so).

Offline ckim25

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »
Jenny,

Thanks for your response!  The "know by" date for the program isn't until March 15, so you're absolutely right that I shouldn't be worrying so much!  This is just something I want so badly and have never had to wait so patiently for!

Offline akiramd12

• Posting Member
    • Let Chan Tell It
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 12:47:18 AM »
Hey! You probably don't have anything to worry about. With a send off date of September, its more than likely going to be a delay between interview and invitation. Also, different countries and programs have different timelines. Many things factor in like paperwork and issues happening in the country of your service. The people in my program (Tanzania/ July '15) had a quick turn-around from interview to invite while others took months. Like Jenny said, part of that reason is because it leaves mid-summer.

Its hard to determine the statistics since this is a new system (they probably won't release the info until the 2015 data is released in December). When I spoke to my interviewer, she told me that they were a HUGE amount of applications due to the new, easier system. The larger amount of applications (I heard Mozambique was a popular program) may factor into the determination time. In some ways, it is obviously scary because more applications=more competition. On the other hand, your ESL work makes you a shoo-in since you have training in teaching under your belt. Obviously volunteer experience is important but work experience is amazing. Even though your title is "volunteer", you are there to do a job.

Keep us up to date on what happens! I hope everything works out. Tanzania is right above Mozambique. When you get invited (I'm speaking life to this happening) we can plan a possible East African Meet Up!
Chantel
Science Education Invitee
Tanzania - July 2015

Offline ckim25

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 04:48:16 AM »
Chantel,

Congrats on your Tanzania invitation!!  I'll keep you posted on my status.  If all goes as planned and I receive an invite, I'd love to meet up! (:

Offline JDeanFan10

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 07:52:01 AM »
Hey!  I can completely relate with the stress of the waiting game, it was killing me to find out if I was going to get an invitation or not!  Your work experience sounds extremely good, so I think you have a huge chance of getting in.  Were you nominated for the Moz Sept 2015 program?  Or is that just where you're hoping to go?  A lot of people for that program have most likely not gotten their invitations yet, since it's so early.  I'm heading to Moz in April as a health volunteer and on our Facebook page we had 1 person who was going to be in the Sept education group.  Take a look at the Peace Corps Mozambique Facebook page and try posting there to see if maybe anyone else has gotten an invite.  Good luck and I hope you get it!

Offline ckim25

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:26:05 AM »
I was nominated for the September 2015 Mozambique program.  I will take your advice and reach out to people in the Facebook group you mentioned.  Thanks!  Congrats to you, too!!

Offline ckim25

• Posting Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2015, 05:25:38 PM »
Just received and accepted my invitation this afternoon!  I'm looking forward to this experience!!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
Congrats!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline akiramd12

• Posting Member
    • Let Chan Tell It
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 06:13:30 PM »
CONGRATS!!!
Chantel
Science Education Invitee
Tanzania - July 2015

Offline ckim25

• Posting Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »
Thank you!!

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »
Congratulations!! I am waiting , after what appeared to be a good interview, for an invite to Ukraine- of course there is still no decision on the actual reopening of the Ukraine office :-[