Honestly, while not very helpful, I really believe this is a personal decision.
Personally, I think, in my circumstances, I would be a bit leery of the waitlist. But that's because I know I need a lot of medical follow-up and it would be very expensive to get everything done, buy all the equipment/clothes/etc. for packing, and then not go. Also, for me, I have a decent, stable job, so if I needed to wait a year to reapply to the same programs, I would have no issues doing so as I have something to fall back on. I'm not sure I would personally have accepted a waitlist position at this time.
That being said, if you really want the opportunity, don't mind going through the medical and other tasks, I can't see how it can hurt. Especially if you have no commitments that you couldn't break if you do get invited in the end. For me, mentally, it would be tough, but if you go in with the right attitude, I think it could be fine - at least you know you are a strong candidate, you'll know what to expect if you reapply should you not be offered a spot, and you'll be a leg up on the medical, dental, and legal tasks.
If there is a spot open right now for applications that you are REALLY interested in, then it might be best to withdraw and just reapply for those positions. As the waitlist is new, I have no idea what the consequences of turning down a waitlist invite are, but I would think if you have some good, thought-out reasoning, it wouldn't be negative.
All that to say, it really depends on your situation, and is really a decision you have to make based on your own circumstances with living arrangements, work, etc.
In my own issues, I've found it helpful to speak to recruiters and/or placement officers...it might not hurt to do the same (I know the recruiters don't handle country-specific issues anymore, but they may have some insight into the impacts of withdrawing and/or how to buff up your resume/experience if you do).