What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Should I accept the waitlist invite?  (Read 5244 times)

Offline jamo_neer

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Should I accept the waitlist invite?
« on: February 22, 2015, 05:55:02 PM »
Kind of conflicted about whether or not I should accept the waitlist invite. I would hate to go through all of the medical and waiting just to find out three weeks before departure that I was not needed. Thoughts?

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Should I accept the waitlist invite?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:36:41 AM »
Most of the clearances are good for six to twelve months so if you don't get a spot and reapply right away maybe your clearance will carry over?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 09:33:09 AM »
I'm actually in this position - had to reapply, and did so almost immediately.  As Shanna said, many of my submissions to the MAP are carrying over...for me it's been a little longer than I'd hoped, so I do have to do a couple things over (namely, dental), but most of my medical is still valid.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline jamo_neer

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 02:40:44 PM »
Interesting, so would you all suggest accepting the wait list invite or declining it and reapplying?

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 07:06:53 AM »
Honestly, while not very helpful, I really believe this is a personal decision.

Personally, I think, in my circumstances, I would be a bit leery of the waitlist.  But that's because I know I need a lot of medical follow-up and it would be very expensive to get everything done, buy all the equipment/clothes/etc. for packing, and then not go.  Also, for me, I have a decent, stable job, so if I needed to wait a year to reapply to the same programs, I would have no issues doing so as I have something to fall back on.  I'm not sure I would personally have accepted a waitlist position at this time.

That being said, if you really want the opportunity, don't mind going through the medical and other tasks, I can't see how it can hurt.  Especially if you have no commitments that you couldn't break if you do get invited in the end.  For me, mentally, it would be tough, but if you go in with the right attitude, I think it could be fine - at least you know you are a strong candidate, you'll know what to expect if you reapply should you not be offered a spot, and you'll be a leg up on the medical, dental, and legal tasks.

If there is a spot open right now for applications that you are REALLY interested in, then it might be best to withdraw and just reapply for those positions.  As the waitlist is new, I have no idea what the consequences of turning down a waitlist invite are, but I would think if you have some good, thought-out reasoning, it wouldn't be negative.

All that to say, it really depends on your situation, and is really a decision you have to make based on your own circumstances with living arrangements, work, etc.

In my own issues, I've found it helpful to speak to recruiters and/or placement officers...it might not hurt to do the same (I know the recruiters don't handle country-specific issues anymore, but they may have some insight into the impacts of withdrawing and/or how to buff up your resume/experience if you do).
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline jamo_neer

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 11:43:36 AM »
Awesome, thanks for the input Jeff. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline klh720

• Posting Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 02:08:56 PM »
I accepted a waitlist offer, completed all the requirements and was ultimately rejected (a month before staging).  Not sure if I will re-apply.

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
WHen you say rejected, do you mean that there were no openings in the list you were on?

Offline klh720

• Posting Member
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 03:16:59 PM »
I assume so.  Just received an email that I would not be selected.  I had received my medical clearance a couple of days earlier.

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:04 AM »
I assume it means that not enough people dropped from the staging group to fit the waitlisted invitees...

I also think it's important to realize that a 'rejection' from PC (especially at the stage you were at) does in no way mean you are not a qualified candidate and that another position - potentially in the same country/program, just against a different pool of applicants - might still be a perfect fit.

Under the old system, this all happened behind the scenes.  You were nominated for a program, then if you weren't the best match when compared to the others in the process you were just moved over and looked at for something else until you were matched with something that fit.  The first time through it was three years for me between initial nomination and finally staging (there was some medical in that as well), and my final country bore no resemblance to where I was initially nominated for.

Now, under the new, if you are considered for something and don't get it you have to reapply on the front end and do the work all yourself; they no longer just put you back in the applicant pool until something else comes up.  That old process is why you still see people saying that everyone who applied got in...because, in general, if you waited long enough you would (although, not everyone did) as you never actually had to reapply.

Translating my first experience to this new process, I probably would have had to apply at least three times to have been accepted (first nominated for Eastern Europe, didn't get that, then for Central Asia, couldn't do that, then finally offered a slot a year later for West Africa).

All that to say, if PC is something you really want to do, I highly encourage you to reapply and see what happens!
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17