What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Medical Clearance, should I be concerned?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline AdrianConrad

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Medical Clearance, should I be concerned?
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:10:03 PM »
Hi! A big help to all of the help I have gotten from people so far! Right now my legal stuff is being cleared up and I have completed almost all of my medical assignments! My medical stuff is due April 10, and my departure date is for the very last  day of June.

Here is the thing though: I was hoping to get my medical stuff in by the third or fourth of April. I am living away from home where my dentist is and am going to have him complete my dental work around then. Is that cutting it too close? Everything else will be done by then. Is it true that Peace Corps only reviews your medical stuff when everything is in?

Thanks,
Adrian

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Medical Clearance, should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:34:07 AM »
They always want it in as soon as possible but there is some leeway. My stuff is due March 12 but I can't finish some of it until April. Send a message through the med portal letting them know that the dental work will be a little delayed and when you expect it to be done. It should be fine.

Offline akiramd12

• Posting Member
    • Let Chan Tell It
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 04:42:42 PM »
I'm having a similar, but worse problem. My initial medical clearances were due yesterday (March 8th) and I was only able to complete one of my tasks. Between waiting for my new insurance to kick in and the snow postponing my appointments, I won't be able to even get an appointment until March 18th! I sent a message to the clearance office and they said to just get it in as soon as possible but I'M FREAKING OUT! My heart is sooo set on going and I don't want this to be the thing that gets me axed. Does anyone have experience with being 2 weeks late on your tasks and how did it affect your clearances?
Chantel
Science Education Invitee
Tanzania - July 2015

Offline mysterycat75

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: RPCV
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 03:27:12 PM »
I can tell you--I served under the old system, where there wasn't a portal or tasks, but paper and envelopes, and fax machines. My application process took two and a half years. I applied New Years Day of 2000, and left June 9, 2003. Part of the delay for me was that I had some medical issues they wanted to check out, thoroughly and be sure they could support.

In Peace Corps, as in most things, communication is key. Post to the portal, call and talk to some one, but do something to keep in touch with them, and in my experience, if they know you are interested and making an effort, they won't drop you. I just considered that it was part of the weeding out process.