What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: What are my chances if I'm on the wait list  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Coal

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
What are my chances if I'm on the wait list
« on: March 02, 2015, 10:07:23 AM »
I'm on the wait list . . . and am going through all the administrative stuff, including health check up, passport, etc, etc. Does the fact that they're making me go through all this mean I'm actually going to be invited to go? It seems they're making me jump through a lot of hoops just to keep me on a wait list! Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks! 

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: What are my chances if I'm on the wait list
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:16:20 PM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't guarantee that you'll be invited, but it does mean that should someone have to drop out or be withdrawn, that you will be good to go if you are selected off the waitlist.

In any group there are usually a few people who drop out for various reasons - medical, professional, personal, etc.  There are others who won't be legally or medically cleared to go (which happened to me, so someone on the waitlist should have been given my slot).  I've heard of cases where there were enough people who had to withdraw that the entire waitlist ended up staging.  On the other hand, if no one drops out, no one from the waitlist will stage, and you will have to reapply.

If you DO have to reapply, they can reuse many of your submissions for your next time through, which puts you a leg up.  Many of the medical and dental checks are good for 1-2 years depending on what it is, and legal clearance is good for 6 months.  They can reassign your passport from your 'old' country to your new, which means you won't have to do that again, and many of the items in the New Volunteer Portal will already be filled out if you get re-invited and have to do it all again (I say this from experience, unfortunately).

EDIT: One quick suggestion - make sure you save copies of everything you upload to MAP.  Even though they used them again, you will get a new case # when you reapply, and all your docs will be wiped from that # and have to be re-uploaded.

Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline klh720

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Re: What are my chances if I'm on the wait list
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 02:05:29 PM »
fyi, I applied under the old system and was waitlisted after the new system went into effect.  I completed all the tasks, had no medical issues, and was notified today that I would not be actually invited.  So you can go through everything and still not be invited.