What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Reopening Ukraine  (Read 2478 times)

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Reopening Ukraine
« on: March 02, 2015, 03:35:10 PM »
I interviewed at the beginning of February for a teaching position in Ukraine,closing Mar 15 and leaving in July. My interview went very well and the interviewer said he would highly recommend me. I have 10-15 years of teaching secondary English and ELL abroad and in the US, understand basic Russian and Bulgarian and was a health educator/nurse before that. I have emailed a follow up to my local PC rep and to the interviewer, who say we are just waiting for the State Department to approve Ukraine relationships. My problem is I wonder if I should have applied to a different country? I did put "anywhere" as a choice, also, but I thought my Cyrillic language background would help in Ukraine. I am an older applicant and worry about getting medical and legal things done before the deadline if I am chosen. I guess I am mainly concerned that I will lose out on any other openings in teaching and/or health while waiting. Should I just sit tight and not bother my PC connections now? Thanks for letting me vent  :-\

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
Re: Reopening Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
I was originally slated to go to Sierra Leone but when it became obvious that it probably wasn't going to open in time they offered the most qualified applicants their choice of other assignments leaving around the same time. There has been no final word on SL that I know of but the placement officer contacted a bunch of us and gave us the option of waiting around or switching to other programs before it was too late. So if it doesn't work out hopefully they can shift you to a new country? Ask your placement officer what the options are for you guys if Ukraine doesn't open.

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 10:08:15 AM »
I highly suggest emailing your placement officer and making them aware of your concerns. I was in the same boat as you. Interviewed late Jan for Ukraine, good experience, thought the interview went well then I waited and waited and waited and nothing. I emailed my placement officer last week letting him know my concerns about waiting too much longer and not being able to get all the medical stuff and legal stuff done on time. Today I accepted an invite to a different country.

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:51:30 PM »
Thank you , Jenny. I didn't know I could actually do it that way :-\

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:51 PM »
No worries Balkandina
I didn't know I could do it that way either! I just sent him an email listing my concerns and he said he'd get back to me with more info soon and the more info was an invite to another program lol. I did not even have to apply or interview again. I'm not saying it will be the same exact process for everyone, but there is no harm in letting your placement officer know about your concerns and see what happens.

Good luck!

Offline severni_zazvor

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
I am another Ukraine hopeful. I spoke to a woman at the NY Peace Corps office today, and she said to hang in there. The fact that we haven't heard yet doesn't have anything to do with us, and everything to do with the Congressional hearing on the status of Peace Corps in Ukraine being delayed. I feel sick with anxiety, but my fingers are crossed.

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »
Well, Peace Corps has decided to hold off on reopening Ukraine, so the July group will not be going  :( Unfortunately I will have to redo my application and hope I can get into a group leaving in the Fall. It is a bit disappointing.