What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Only an automated response after 5 weeks. Normal?  (Read 1753 times)

Offline rwsykora

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Only an automated response after 5 weeks. Normal?
« on: March 09, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
Hi friends! It's now five weeks after my husband and I punched the "submit" button on our applications and health summaries ... our application statuses read "Application and Health History Form Received" ... but so far, no contact from a Real Human Being. Is this sort of a normal thing? How long did you cool your jets before being contacted for an interview? Thanks!

Offline Jeff

• Forum Hero
    • Doing it Twice
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: Only an automated response after 5 weeks. Normal?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »
Unfortunately, one thing you'll learn with PC is that there is no 'normal' when it comes to timelines.  The next thing you will get if your applications move forward is an under consideration email (unless they've changed the process again in the last year)...I know of some people who received it within a week, others were waiting months.  While this is totally anecdotal, I have a feeling that the position's know-by date that you applied for plays into that somewhat.

I actually went through the process twice in the last two years.  The first time it took a little over two months to interview (this was under the old process, so was the next step after application).  This time it was about three months before I received an under consideration email, and another three months after that until I received an interview request.  Both times I was invited (medical issue kept me from going the first time)...so the timeline is not really something to judge by.

I know of another person in my group who applied only a week or so before getting an under consideration email.

If you are concerned, call the recruitment office - sometimes the system doesn't send an email and they can check to see if you are under consideration.  That being said, five weeks is not unusual.
Jeff
RPCV - Ghana, 03-05
PCV - Macedonia, 15-17

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
Hi rwsykora

Like Jeff said there does not seem to be a "normal" process and wait time. I received an under consideration email within a few days of submitting my application and then set up an interview a few days after that. But then I waited and waited and waited to hear back from the interview which was mid Jan and I did not hear back until a few days ago (early March). Others heard back right away, some in my time frame still have not heard back at all.

Since you applied as a couple things might take a little bit longer. Finding an opening in a program for one individual volunteer is easier than finding an opening for a couple. If the countries you applied for are mostly full and only have room for two more TEFL volunteers (hypothetical example) but you are a TEFL volunteer and your partner has more experience in agriculture or something like that then they might have to wait until another country has an opening for both of your.

I'd say 5 weeks is normal, and it is also normal to begin wondering around that time frame also. Don't be afraid to contact placement if know by dates are nearing for your selected countries, but also wait it out and be patient if there is still some more time before the know by dates.

I know of a married couple that served together (this was years ago in the old system) and it took them nearly two years to get placed because the whole process had to be done finding them positions together, but eventually they ended up together serving in Morocco and loved their time there.

Offline rwsykora

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
Thanks, Jenny & Jeff