What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Tour Cancelled  (Read 3031 times)

Offline AmandaJeanus

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
Tour Cancelled
« on: March 18, 2015, 01:41:13 PM »
I just found out my placement in Morocco for sept. has been canceled. I am completely devastated.  I can't even begin to assume reasons why. I applied in the old format so needless to say this whole process has taken a very very long time. I got my invitation 4 months ago. Does anyone know if there is a fast track to new placements. They left me no number to call, no options other then...sorry just apply for a new post. Is there nothing that can be done?

I am at a complete loss. 
 :-[

Offline Jenny

• Leading Member
Re: Tour Cancelled
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 02:49:57 PM »
Morocco was cancelled?! What!?! I wonder why that is. With Jordan being cancelled recently that leaves Northern Africa/Middle East pretty bare.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know if there is a "fast track" as you inquired, but the new process is just much faster in itself. You will probably know about placement and an invite within a matter of a few months from submission of application to invite. I applied early Jan, interviewed mid Jan, invited early March.

Offline DaveS

• Posting Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »
I was just invited to serve in Morocco a few weeks ago, so receiving news that it had been canceled yesterday morning caught me entirely by surprise. I can't imagine what would have changed in those few weeks...

I'm doing the Masters International program, so I have been talking to our campus recruiter here to try to get more info about what happened/what to do now, but he is as in the dark as we are. Disappointing, for sure.

Offline DaveS

• Posting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 06:38:26 PM »
I was just offered a new placement today, so it seems they are working pretty quickly to get people placed again. They offered me an education position in Samoa, which I'm not 100% sold on yet, but it is at least good to know they are working on it. Have you heard anything?

Offline Slind

• Posting Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 10:37:27 AM »
Hey all, I was also all set (pending final medical) to go to Morocco Sept 2015, and was similarly shocked and unsure what to do. I was away from internet all last week so I only just submitted a new application today, DaveS, what was the process for getting your new invitation? I'm not a Masters International volunteer or anything, so I suppose it might be totally different.

Offline DaveS

• Posting Member
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 04:04:36 PM »
So I didn't actually have to do anything new application-wise, I just received an email from someone at the placement office last Friday (and another one today) indicating that they had found a possible alternative placement for me. The first alternative they offered (teaching English in Samoa) didn't really fit my skill set/the program that I am in for Masters International, so I let them know that and they got back to me with another option (Youth in Development, Thailand) this afternoon.

If you haven't heard anything yet, I would reach out to the placement office to get an update. I know they are working to find alternative placements for everyone, but the sense I got is that they struggling to do so, because there are not that many groups departing between now and the end of the year. I don't know what your situation is, but if you are able/willing to wait until early 2016 to leave, the number of potential opportunities will be much larger it seems.

Anyway, barring something strange coming up again, I'm hoping to be heading to Thailand in January, and the program there sounds really awesome! I hope everything works out for you guys as well.