What are you waiting for, register to join now (it's free): CLICK HERE

Author Topic: English Education qualifications  (Read 2405 times)

Offline satch3zg

• Posting Member
  • PC Status: Friend
English Education qualifications
« on: April 20, 2015, 01:59:28 PM »
I am almost ready to submit my application and I am aiming for ESL positions. RPCVs, invitees, and current volunteers (if you're reading this!) - can you share your background/qualifications for English education? I have looked at almost all posts on the Reddit Peace Corps page but I also wanted to check here. I think I have ok chances as a candidate but it's better to be weary during this competitive time.

Offline Marion

• Administrator
  • Forum Champion
  • Botswana (2011-2013)
    • Update from the Mobleys
  • PC Status: RPCV
Re: English Education qualifications
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:42 PM »
When I was first nominated for the Peace Corps (in 2010) it was to be as an ESL teacher.  Prior to the nomination my recruiter suggested I do ESL volunteering.  It didn't take much volunteering to make me qualified for that.  I did it for a few hours per week for a few months, and that was all it took.  Maybe thing are different now, not sure.
Marion
RPCV, Botswana (2011-2013)

Offline shawn g

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:54:10 PM »
I agree try to get as much ESL tutoring/teaching under your belt as you can. Also, look into volunteer teaching in different settings. My qualifications are 30+ hours of teaching English in Nicaragua to people of various ages. Also, i co-teach sunday school at my church and have been doing so for the past 2.5 years. I am now a little over a month away from my departure to Micronesia in June as a Secondary TESL teacher. Good luck. If you don't receive an invite the first time around, keep volunteering and keep trying. They have tons of applicants for few positions.

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »
I applied last August and was invited for a TEFL program starting in June. I have a BA, a MPA, a TEFL cert, an internship working with abused kids, and just over a year and a half experience teaching English abroad. I was given the impression that I was very qualified but I don't necessarily think I am the most qualified person in my cohort, which includes numerous people with professional experience. I would recommend getting substantial experience tutoring before applying. It seems like people who have great qualifications are being turned away recently. You might want to look at the positions posted and the requested skills and use that to your advantage if you have a language skill or some other unique experience that makes you stand out. I also think there are new positions going up in May!

Offline balkandina

• Leading Member
  • PC Status: Applicant
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 10:53:08 PM »
I have a secondary teaching credential in English and have taught high school in the US for 15 years. I also teach ELL in a summer program and taught ELL overseas in Eastern Europe. I was interviewed and told , basically, I would be accepted in Education  in Ukraine and then that program was closed  :(  I have since reapplied and am under consideration for another country. I think that your interview is a good time to "sell" yourself and also make sure your resume and cover letter, if you submit one, really play up any volunteer teaching, coaching, etc...you have done. Stay confident and positive !!!

Offline shanna

• Leading Member
    • This Alien Shore
  • PC Status: PCV
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »
I would be accepted in Education  in Ukraine and then that program was closed  :(  I have since reapplied and am under consideration for another country.

That's terrible that you had to reapply! I was first under consideration for Sierra Leone. When the program didn't open the placement officer switch a bunch of us to other countries with a similar departure date to be considered for without reapplying.